Talk

Advanced search

Dress doubts

(8 Posts)
EthelThePiratesDaughter Fri 07-Sep-18 16:06:11

Went for my dress fitting today and I can't shake the feeling that I might have gone for the wrong kind of dress. I'm worried it's a bit too froufy and princessy and I should have gone for something more sleek and elegant.

Are these feelings normal?

confused

OP’s posts: |
IsTheRainEverComingBack Fri 07-Sep-18 16:07:31

How many did you try on in the first place? What made you choose the dress you did in the first place?

EthelThePiratesDaughter Fri 07-Sep-18 16:09:51

Loads. I went to five different shops. But they were all either quite full skirted or mermaidy with a train, there were quite a few styles that I didn't try.

I picked it because I liked the lace round the train.

Cliveybaby Fri 07-Sep-18 16:38:07

was there a separate petticoat you could leave out?
Or a layer or tulle that could be taken out?

SheWoreBlueVelvet Fri 07-Sep-18 16:44:08

I think it's because you literally never wear big pouffy dresses except for this one occasion. Bound to feel " too much".

However look objectively at magazines and photos of real weddings " Rock my wedding" has loads. Which brides do you think look amazing? Does your dress fit your venue - again see if you can find real bride pictures in your venue or similar.

I also think guests quite like a big showy gown. Gives them something to look at whilst you are saying your vows. Possibly the only time less is more isn't strictly true.

EthelThePiratesDaughter Fri 07-Sep-18 16:49:02

It does have a petticoat but the dress looks better (and is easier to walk in) with it.

I think all kinds of brides look amazing! But they are not all wearing dresses which would look amazing on me or would suit my venue.

EthelThePiratesDaughter Fri 07-Sep-18 16:50:24

I think I picked a big froufy dress in the end because I knew that it was the only time in my life I would be able to wear something that fancy.

But then I see brides in very simple dresses and wonder whether I will look a bit ridiculous compared to them!

SheWoreBlueVelvet Fri 07-Sep-18 17:06:04

I think all kinds of brides look amazing! But they are not all wearing dresses which would look amazing on me or would suit my venue.

Quite. So look at photos of similar venues with brides in similar gowns to yours ( see Rock my Wedding - real weddings again). Do they look wrong to you? If you think they look OTT maybe rethink.

I think most brides look amazing because it's a wedding. You need to think critically - which look less good. Some simple dresses look stunning and some look just a bit meh. You will still have this issue if you change dresses. Does it look too plain. Does it cling. etc.

Personally I would only change if you find a dress you love better. I wouldn't change just for changes sake.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in