Talk

Advanced search

Any brides doing a speech?

(56 Posts)
bookyourselfaspadaylove Fri 08-Jun-18 18:50:51

I'm going to do a speech, have heard it's not really the done thing, and have witnessed it too. Are any other brides doing one?

OP’s posts: |
NeverTwerkNaked Fri 08-Jun-18 18:53:22

Please do a speech! I find it really strange when otherwise very strong, independent and successful women stay silent on their wedding day while all the men speak.

Doobigetta Fri 08-Jun-18 18:54:55

I did. We're grown women, we should speak for ourselves. I was very nervous about it, because I'm crap at public speaking, but there was no way it wasn't going to happen.

inchoccyheaven Fri 08-Jun-18 18:59:11

My dw did a thanks for coming and special thanks to our witnesses and readers speech but that was all.
We didn't have a formal wedding though and neither of us had our dads there or bridesmaids etc so was just out of courtesy to thank people.
I was way to nervous to speak and just handed out gifts.
Oh and we are same sex so guess that changes the rules anyway.

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 08-Jun-18 18:59:23

I did at mine. Several people commented how refreshing it was. We did several smaller speeches, so the chief bridesmaid spoke briefly as well. My dad didn’t keep quite so well to the “short” memo but then he gets hired to speak at events so thing he was in his element grin

whatwouldnigellado Fri 08-Jun-18 19:02:45

I did but it was one I'd written, just stood up and talked...would of been weirder if I'd be silent!

S0upertrooper Fri 08-Jun-18 19:02:57

I did a speech at our wedding 28 years ago. It wasn't the 'done thing' then either but I got more claps than all the men put together! MIL and FIL had faces that looked like slapped arses!!! Go for it and try to put something funny in it if it feels natural.

happymummy12345 Fri 08-Jun-18 19:04:24

I didn't. I knew exactly what I would have said as well. But I wanted to keep it as traditional as it could be in our circumstances, so I didn't. I'd of loved to do one though.

chequeplease Fri 08-Jun-18 19:04:39

I did! And I'd love to see it become more normal.
Good for you!

Hockneypool Fri 08-Jun-18 19:05:58

It’s not traditional but don’t let that stop you. I spoke at my wedding 25 years ago and the world continued. Why women stay silent amazes me.

I was at a family wedding a few years ago in which only the men spoke. They were pretty mediocre and it was frustrating when the bride had the kind of job where she regularly spoke at conferences and events.

YouBoggleMyMind Fri 08-Jun-18 19:09:10

I didn't but my DSis and DSIL did and they were the best speeches 🙌🏼

soundsystem Fri 08-Jun-18 19:17:03

I did! Would have found it really weird to sit there being talked about. My mum did a speech as well (single Mum so she did the traditional father-of-the-bride bit).

Cakeandmarshmallows Fri 08-Jun-18 19:37:18

I did as well. I was nervous but glad I did, I say if you want to do it, then go for it!

Blueemeraldagain Fri 08-Jun-18 19:39:26

I’m 30 and haven’t been to many weddings (4) but all the ones I have been to the brides have done a speech. I think it’s a growing trend/tradition.

letallthechildrenboogie Fri 08-Jun-18 19:43:54

I did when we got married 19 years ago. I didn't really intend to but everyone else seemed to be going blah so hey, not getting left out of that!

fanominon Fri 08-Jun-18 19:46:26

I did when I got married - over 15 years ago. I didn't tell dh I was going to, and just stood up and spoke (briefly) after his speech. No-one who's ever met me would expect me to sit quietly whilst the men talked, and actually I am always slightly uncomfortable personally when brides are silent - or do that 'running around giving out the gifts and kissing people while the bloke talks' thing. I get that it's traditional, and weddings are so often about the magic of tradition. But that's just not the model of marriage I wanted at my wedding.

eurochick Fri 08-Jun-18 19:46:27

Both of us did mini speeches (just thank yous really). No one else got speaking rights.

Awrite Fri 08-Jun-18 19:47:53

I did.

One of my sil's did an amazing speech. Ditto one of my good friends.

I did a speech at my sister's wedding.

I bloody love hearing women speak at weddings. We tend not to drone on. wink

MoDip Fri 08-Jun-18 19:48:17

Yeah my husband and I did one together! It was brilliant to do it actually

Bue Fri 08-Jun-18 19:48:40

Across the pond brides and maids of honour always do speeches. I find it really odd that it's not usually done in the UK. Do a speech!

Gazelda Fri 08-Jun-18 19:50:31

I did, 4 years ago. It would have felt weird listening to the men and not having the opportunity to voice my own thoughts.

SentinelWoo Fri 08-Jun-18 19:50:42

I did.
Our planner explained wedding etiquette to us and outlined how the best man would speak on behalf of the bridesmaids, and the groom on my behalf. I thought that was utter rubbish and wanted to thank our guests myself!

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Fri 08-Jun-18 19:52:17

Yes and all my sister's have too!
Mine was funny while the best man's was soppy.... My groom was also given away by his best man!!!

Attie17 Fri 08-Jun-18 19:58:42

I did too! Go for it!

PuffinsSitOnMuffins Fri 08-Jun-18 20:03:40

I did. I didn’t think of it as being a speech as in needing to be entertaining, I just wanted to thank some people myself, and, as others have said, it would have felt weird to sit there mute.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in