Talk

Advanced search

Wedding dress advice

(54 Posts)
LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:14:46

Please help me decide between two wedding dresses!

After trying on at least 20 dresses I am down to two. They both have a V neck and a V shape at the back, lots of lace on the dress and lace edging round the train. The difference is that Dress 1 is very nipped in at the waist and then has a bigger princessy type skirt with a long train, and Dress 2 is a figure hugging mermaid style dress which goes in less at the waist and fits snugly over the hips and bum and has a smaller train. They both feel quite comfortable.

Dress 1 is probably more “bridal” in that I couldn’t wear that type of dress any other time. I also will be less worried about it fitting properly because it just needs to fit tightly at the waist, and my waist size never changes much.

Dress 2 is much more grown up and glamorous but I feel like once it’s been measured I will have to be quite careful not to change size or shape very much between now and the wedding. I usually lose a bit of weight over the summer and I would like to do some work to tone up my back and arms, but if I lose weight off my bum or thighs instead, Dress 2 might not fit so well, whereas Dress 1 would still be OK.

What would you do?

I am 32 by the way. smile

Thank you.

Helpmeplan Sun 18-Mar-18 10:16:16

Pics?

thenightsky Sun 18-Mar-18 10:17:12

Do you have links to pages with pics of them?

MairzyDoats Sun 18-Mar-18 10:19:01

We need pics to be nosey to give you a considered response.

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:22:22

OK, this is Dress 1. (I am holding it in place in both pics to make it fit round the waist.)

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:23:37

And this is Dress 2 (unfortunately the pics aren’t as good as we didn’t get the back properly).

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:24:43

The back of 2 is a V, like 1.

eurochick Sun 18-Mar-18 10:25:38

I don't usually like the mermaid style but 2 is really lovely.

epiphanytime Sun 18-Mar-18 10:27:40

Both gorgeous and your figure is stunning but I think number 1 has the edge for me...good luck OP!!

Nishky Sun 18-Mar-18 10:27:54

This is difficult as it’s such a subjective thing but personally I think no 1 suits you best.

Where are you getting married - sounds like a daft question but it is the first thing a designer asked my friend. No hard and fast rules but I think back of no 1 would look good in church

loobylou10 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:28:05

They are both lovely and You look stunning in both - I prefer 1. (But it’s close!).

SavageBeauty73 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:29:45

I think I prefer 1 but I really like 2 as well. Helpful 🤷‍♀️😂

DailyMailFail101 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:30:42

Number 1, it’s looks really bridal, you will never get to wear a dress like that ever again. Dress number 1 looks a little more comfortable too, bit more ‘airy’ underneath keeping you cooler, not a sweaty mess lol

SweetLike Sun 18-Mar-18 10:32:40

Dress 2. If you've got it, flaunt it.

I like the back of 1, but for the back to look so nice and nipped in, someone will have to be rearranging the back of that dress all day. My dress wasn't mermaid but it was a similar cut and the back still had to be arranged but it was much easier because there was less of it. Dress 1 hides you away and I don't think you need hiding away.

They're not too bad to alter (dresses tight on the hips) there is more give than you think.

thenightsky Sun 18-Mar-18 10:33:03

Number 1 is the best on you.

CurbsideProphet Sun 18-Mar-18 10:33:33

You look lovely in both. I've been to a few weddings recently where the bride is wearing the mermaid shape dress. The problem I noticed is that it looked quite difficult to dance in and kept getting in the way, as it didn't move as easily as the style like your dress 1.

Dress 1 would get my vote, but obviously you should go with which dress makes you feel happiest smile

SweetLike Sun 18-Mar-18 10:34:20

Also, what are you doing about a veil? I'd say you could do floor length with 2 but not with 1.

Sunrise888 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:34:23

1 is gorgeous, but it's up to you and how you want to feel on the day - like a princess or more glamorous? Which dress are you thinking about more? Which makes you smile when you imagine yourself walking down the aisle? Which do you imagine bringing a smile to your partner's face when they see you?

BlondeB83 Sun 18-Mar-18 10:34:23

My friend had dress 2. Personally I prefer dress 1.

YippeeKiYayMelonFarmer Sun 18-Mar-18 10:35:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:39:06

Lots of different opinions here! It’s going to be really hard to choose!

I am getting married in church and the reception is at an army officer’s club. It’s quite a “traditional” kind of wedding and venue. City wedding, not country. My OH will be in uniform. (Quite a lot of details there, I might have to get this thread deleted in a few days!)

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:39:40

Oh and if Dress 2 then I think definitely a veil, of Dress 1 then undecided.

Truthstar Sun 18-Mar-18 10:43:54

Dress no.1 ❤

You're figure is amazing by the way

LoveInTokyo Sun 18-Mar-18 10:48:49

Thank you. (I tried on a lot of other dresses that were much less flattering before finding these two. grin)

YippeeKiYayMelonFarmer Sun 18-Mar-18 10:48:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: