Talk

Advanced search

Recycling the best man whom I hate

(17 Posts)
Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:43:56

Were getting married in 2020. I know it's ages off but I'm stressing out about my partners choice of best man. My partner and I are both divorced and he wants his friend as BM even though he did it first time around. That on its own isn't a huge issue but what is is that the BM and I can't stand each other and don't speak. His other friend has asked to be BM and him and I get on really well. The chosen BM's wife and I hate each other and she is friends with the ex wife. The chosen BM has drink issues and goodness knows what state he will be in. He starts drinking as soon as he wakes up and is lewd and foul mouthed. My partner feels duty bound to have him as BM and I know it would be a disaster. Any suggestions/solutions?

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:12:52

Sorry it's so long. I don't know all the abbreviations yet as I'm a beginner. If anyone can provide a list I will attempt to be briefer confused

octonaught Tue 06-Feb-18 19:14:37

Why does your partner feel duty bound to have him?
Just tell your fiance how you feel

Maccapacca88 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:22:34

I'd ask your fiance how he thinks the speech will go. An alcoholic who hates the bride... Oh dear. His duty on your wedding day is to you, not his mate. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable on your wedding day fgs!

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:50:22

They were both BM for each other and this will be twice each! Theyve been friends since they were kids.

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:52:25

Lol. Absolutely. That actually brings home what a titanic scale disaster it would be. We have discussed going for a family small scale wedding and having a big evening do but his friend will lay in the guilt.

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:54:26

PS you are right. I need to tell him how I feel. I need to stop secretly stressing and talk it through. Thanks. That's the sensible approach and I need to do it.

octonaught Tue 06-Feb-18 22:06:55

Yes your fiance will probably be relieved that you're not keen on th BM either. Just present a united front and say "we're going to do something different this time round"

Bananalanacake Tue 06-Feb-18 22:11:23

He drinks every day as soon as he wakes up?? There's a chance he may not be alive in 2 years.

borlottibeans Tue 06-Feb-18 22:12:31

I've been to a wedding where the BM and his girlfriend hated the bride. It wasn't pretty.

I am personally not sure that I would want to be married to someone who was prepared to ask someone who hated me to be a part of our wedding.

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 23:25:18

Would I be the worst person in the world if that gave me hope? Thank you. It did make me laugh...

Gemma1995 Tue 06-Feb-18 23:29:48

Thanks octonaught I think I will try that approach. Let's do it differently this time rather than I hate your friend!

Rubies12345 Wed 07-Feb-18 05:18:39

Oh no. He might say something rude about you in his speech!

It's becoming quite popular that the Maid of Honour makes a speech instead of the best man so you could do that.

Gemma1995 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:55:08

Rubies12345 He is crude enough when he is sober but at any social event he downs drink after drink and he gets really loud and inappropriate. Yes, there's every chance he could ruin the whole day. My chief bridesmaid is too young to drink but would happily do a speech. Really good idea.

SoupDragon Wed 07-Feb-18 11:33:05

What are you going to do if he refuses to change his choice of best man?

Gemma1995 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:30:59

Soupdragon I've thought about it a lot and I would insist on a small family only wedding and then open up the night do to everyone. The BM would ruin the day and my mum who is quite feisty might decide to go all Bruce Lee on him. We'd end up being that disastrous wedding day everyone laughs about. Plus, the BMs wife and I cannot be in the same room so it would be hugely awkward. Not what you need on your bug day.

Gemma1995 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:31:54

Lol. Not bug day...big day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now