Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone do their own makeup..

(52 Posts)
BluePony Mon 22-Jan-18 19:05:38

And be pleased with the finished product? I pretty much have to do mine; very rural and no-one here does it; I could go to counters /book in lessons with MAC to get tips etc but I won't be able to on the day. Did anyone else do theirs and were you happy with the result? How long does it take etc?

TIA!

PeepoPleaseNo Mon 22-Jan-18 19:12:26

Hi, yes I did mine. I quite like makeup but I'm not a pro or anything and don't go in for contouring or fancy brows or anything.

I went to a MAC counter for a demo and spent about £150, and I was kindly given a gift by a friend of a load of Mac brushes. I did a bit of a practice beforehand and then on the day I just went for it. Not sure what I would have done if it hadn't gone well but thankfully the stars aligned and it worked!

It looked good I think - I was 25 and had perfect skin and no wrinkles at the time! It was quite natural although I had plenty on as well as false lashes I put on myself. I just made sure I felt confident with each stage and left myself plenty of time to do it.

Nowadays I definitely would get a make up artist, but now I have far more disposable income and am less fresh faced! That said, I got my makeup done for my sister's wedding recently and it was very, very heavy. It looked great in photos but a little odd in real life.

PeepoPleaseNo Mon 22-Jan-18 19:13:16

Think I left myself about half an hour to do it? Maybe 45 mins? Can't quite remember. But I made sure I wasn't rushed and my hair was done.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 22-Jan-18 19:15:47

Yes, and I was very happy with it!

I do it every other day and wouldn’t trust anyone to do it for me.

Just popping out but I’ll be back with tips. Primer!

ScreamingValenta Mon 22-Jan-18 19:16:28

Yes, I did, but I had a very low key wedding. I just wore the make up I'd normally wear, but I took extra care in applying it.

Crumbs1 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:20:24

I’m of sure I know many brides who didn’t. It wasn’t a thing when I married and most of the young brides whose weddings we’ve attended have gone for fresh and natural with minimal makeup rather than the heavily made up effect. Personally, I think simple is much prettier.

Deploycharitygoats Mon 22-Jan-18 19:20:41

Yup, I did mine and liked it. I don’t usually wear makeup, but I wanted some colour while still looking like me. I followed a Lisa Eldridge video (think it was the no makeup makeup one). Watched it a few times, had a couple of practice runs, then took around 45 minutes on the day. If nothing else, concentrating on it let me ignore my mother for a bit wink

RedLemonade Mon 22-Jan-18 19:20:46

I did. I met a friend and noted her beautiful make-up so asked what she used and got that!

MAC primer, bare minerals powder foundation, MAC blusher, benefit moonshine (I think?) tinty stuff for brow arches and cheeks and some subtle plummy coloured MAC eyeshadow and lipstick. Then liquid eyeliner for top lid (I’m very practiced with that anyway), pencil for bottom. and Lancôme doll eye mascara.

Took me about 30 mins I guess.

If I had my time over I’d also add some hourglass finishing powder because it is fab.

SwearyG Mon 22-Jan-18 19:22:58

Yes I did mine and I rarely wear make up so I’m not particularly practised at it. I went to a MAC shop and spoke about what I wanted and wrote down how she did the makeup and bought a couple of eyeshadows and a lipstick so feel I paid for her expertise.

A very stylish friend of mine complimented me on my make up on the day so I think I did ok!

juddyrockingcloggs Mon 22-Jan-18 19:23:05

I did mine! Mainly for the fact that when I got married MUA in or area weren't really a popular thing and I can't really stand other people touching my face!

I spent a lot of money on good make up as PPs did and practised the look I wanted! I think I looked good and I think DH did - well he didn't recoil when he saw me anyway!

caffeinequick Mon 22-Jan-18 19:24:35

I booked a lesson in with Mac for myself and my bridesmaids. The cost could be offset against makeup purchased afterwards too. Do it quite close to the day so you don't forget and invest in good brushes.

toomuchlikehardwork Mon 22-Jan-18 19:28:50

I did my own because I wanted to look like me. Bought a new eyeshadow quad from Lancôme and everything else I already had. Also did my own hair with my mums help and was very happy.

I like to be in control and 14 years ago having someone do your make up wasn't a thing and not enough time for a hairdresser.

TheNinjaWife Mon 22-Jan-18 19:29:02

The one tip I got was to wear more pink toned makeup, as apparently it looks better in photos? Not sure how true this is, because normally I wear more nuetral tones, however I did follow this tip and I thought I looked fab in the photos. Very natural and fresh looking. I was 38!

MrsGB2225 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:30:11

I did a MAC tutorial and did my own make up. I wish I had paid some one

ChristmasTablecloth Mon 22-Jan-18 19:30:38

Yes, and hair. Took less than 30 minutes. Didn't want to make a mahoosive fuss and anyway we had a very low key wedding.

EggsonHeads Mon 22-Jan-18 19:31:02

Yep. It was fine. Honestly, I wanted to look like myself on my wedding day not some awkward over made version of myself. I look like a complete tramp in heavy make up anyway so might as well have just done it myself.

Dermymc Mon 22-Jan-18 19:33:15

Yes, never really wore it much before (or since!) but went to no7 and they did a very low key natural look which I replicated on the day.

People still comment on how good I looked (I was unknowingly 8 weeks pg grin)

FilledSoda Mon 22-Jan-18 19:34:21

We all did our own make up in the old days grin
Just give yourself plenty of time

SenecaFalls Mon 22-Jan-18 19:34:35

I did because I wanted to look like normal me. I think I took about 30 minutes.

Chewbecca Mon 22-Jan-18 19:38:41

I did too. Went to a Chanel counter in advance and bought a few new products - foundation, blusher & eyeshadow, I used my usual favourite lipstick and mascara.

I did get married 15 years ago & as a PP said, I don't think it was as common to have your make up done then, plus make up was not so heavily applied.

Definitely happy with my decision.

Pastaagain78 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:40:23

Yes I did. I liked it and I’m not very confident with make up. I wanted to look like me. It looked good in the photos, very natural.

SingingSeuss Mon 22-Jan-18 19:45:04

Yes, I did mine (and my bridesmaids!), I also did a friends on her wedding day when I was bridesmaid. I was happy with the results. I had mine done professionally at my sisters wedding and didn't like it ( too ott). I got a free trial at Clarins, then bought a foundation and lippy and the rest was just my usual stuff. Go for it.

DusktilDawn Mon 22-Jan-18 19:49:24

Most make-up artists really cake it on, even when you ask for a natural look. I've had a couple of makeovers by both mac and estee lauder and looked nothing like myself. The colours were all wrong and my eyes looked ridiculous! Not married but will definitely be doing my own when the time comes

MamaLupine Mon 22-Jan-18 19:56:55

I did too. I did have a trial with a make up artist and it was horrific. Foundation that was far, far too dark and orangey, yellow eyeshadow. I looked like a panto dame. I then had a session at a Bobbie Brown counter and was happy. Until 2 days before the wedding when I had serious doubts about the sparkly white eyeshadow they recommended. So I then threw myself on the mercy of the Estee Lauder sales staff. They were brilliant. I think I spent about 30 mins on my wedding day make-up.

moonlight1705 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:58:22

My DSis did mine, she's not professional but it looked lovely. It helped that she lives in Japan and recently been.to Korea so got some wonderful makeup for us all...lip tints were the best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: