Talk

Advanced search

Small wedding, big dress(es). Odd?

(57 Posts)
Tequilaitmakesmestupid Fri 19-Jan-18 17:29:13

Hi,

So my gf and I have been engaged for a couple of years now and recently decided that we really want to crack on and actually set a date!

We've both agreed that we want a small wedding, possibly just a few close family members, but we also both want the 'big' dress.

By big, I don't necessarily mean in size, but in style. Although I wouldn't rule out a big, ball gown dress having said that. I'm particularly drawn to the fit and flare, with some lace.

We're both very feminine, but have different styles, so we should compliment each other. Not that that's really an issue.

Anyway, the main point, or question is, is it a bit...out of place to wear a big, 'im here!!' dress if you're having an intimate, simple (but elegant) wedding?

Thoughts please smile

RNBrie Fri 19-Jan-18 17:30:37

Its your wedding. Wear whatever you like. It won't be odd at all.

Tequilaitmakesmestupid Fri 19-Jan-18 17:32:50

Really, RNBrie ? It wouldn't look a bit out of place? Love the name btw!

Dancinggoat Fri 19-Jan-18 17:42:02

Have exactly what you want or your regret not doing it.
I think it'll be lovely and by the sounds of it fit the surroundings too.

Dancinggoat Fri 19-Jan-18 17:42:22

*you'll

PaperdollCartoon Fri 19-Jan-18 17:43:14

You can have whatever you want! Go for it.

wombatron Fri 19-Jan-18 17:44:33

Small wedding, receptions going to be in a Gastro Pub round the corner. Full on glitzy glamour dress - not a fuck I will give about it either! I only want the dress really grin

MrsMotherHen Fri 19-Jan-18 17:44:38

I had a small wedding 25 people and
a massive dress.

ThatWasNotLove Fri 19-Jan-18 17:47:26

Definitely not out of place. If I was a guest I'd hope you were wearing the dress you really wanted to wear, not one that you thought you should.

And same goes for everything else. Do only what you want - or don't want. Don't worry about what other people will want or not. It's a day for you both. Make yourself happy and the guests will be happy too.

Obviously not talking about bridezilla, but you don't sound as though you're about to become one of them!!

Have fun! smile

mamalovebird Fri 19-Jan-18 17:50:13

Life is short. Wear the dress. Good luck smile

CurlyRover Fri 19-Jan-18 17:51:05

Definitely go for what you want. It's your wedding smile

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 19-Jan-18 17:52:46

Small wedding means less spent on catering so more left for dresses!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 19-Jan-18 17:53:35

Just make sure you both don't have great big wide skirts or you'll never get close enough for The Kiss!

littlemisscomper Fri 19-Jan-18 17:57:11

If you both go for big dresses it could be tricky to dance etc! But otherwise, no, go for it! I'm not even engaged but I've only ever wanted a small family wedding - with a gorgeous dress!

VanillaSugarGlider Fri 19-Jan-18 17:59:40

We went to Gretna Green (not to get married) and there was a tiny wedding with about 6-8 guests and the bride was wearing THE MOST GORGEOUS red silk wedding dress which clearly cost thousands. She looked amazing and 15 years later I can still remember it. So yes. Go for it.

MagicFajita Fri 19-Jan-18 18:00:33

Go for it. Your wedding, your way.

VanillaSugarGlider Fri 19-Jan-18 18:01:07

PS i don't even know who she was. We saw her through a room window.

Buy THE dress.

meandmytinfoilhat Fri 19-Jan-18 18:02:39

Go for it OP.

Tequilaitmakesmestupid Fri 19-Jan-18 18:33:44

Awww smile thanks all. Feeling much better about the prospect now.

wombat, I admire your honesty grin

MotherHen.......how massive are we talking? confused I have a very funny (and slightly disturbing) image in my head!

wombatron Fri 19-Jan-18 19:07:06

@Tequilaitmakesmestupid I have a glitzy shiny Maggie Sottero dress that I’m far too excited about wearing. Think about this... very few people will look back and think your dress looked out of place. They will remember your dress. But not that. You will look back on your wedding photos - professional or not - and want to be happy with what you see. Don’t look back and have regrets, it sounds like you would if you don’t have the dress you want!

wombatron Fri 19-Jan-18 19:08:35

And @BreakfastAtSquiffanys my dress costs more than our cateringblush. It’s definitely a plus for me gringringrin

BrimFire Fri 19-Jan-18 23:24:20

I'd say go for a beautiful dress but not white or Ivory. That would look like you'd buyed into the triaditional wedding but failed. There are fantastic " wear once" dresses that are non white. Chorontte dresses ( sorry spell check is hating this ) for one.

BrimFire Fri 19-Jan-18 23:25:53

Chotronte

Tequilaitmakesmestupid Sat 20-Jan-18 10:29:07

Brim, I can't find that. Is it a designer?

Tequilaitmakesmestupid Sat 20-Jan-18 10:30:08

wombat, very wise words ☺️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: