Talk

Advanced search

Catholic guest at a Protestant Wedding

(17 Posts)
Emeralda1993 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:46:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Mon 04-Dec-17 14:47:24

No idea of the protocol but lots of people won't be taking it so you wouldn't stand out if you didn't.

shoofly Mon 04-Dec-17 14:48:52

I've never had communion at a protestant wedding. I'm anglican and have been to Methodist, Presbyterian, Church of Ireland and Church of England weddings.

FlaviaAlbia Mon 04-Dec-17 14:49:19

There's not normally communion at protestant weddings, though I'm not familiar with the high CoE and I think it's more like Catholic services.

Do you know the denomination?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 04-Dec-17 14:50:05

To quote my DGM, if you're not practicing you're not in a state of grace so you shouldn't be taking communion anyway... smile

A lot of protestant churches don't do communion, certainly here in Scotland it would only be high anglican that would do communion. Never seen it done at a Church of Scotland wedding. Anyway, you won't look rude if you don't take it, just not confirmed or of that faith.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 04-Dec-17 14:50:29

There almost certainly won't be communion at the wedding.

If there is, as a general rule protestants are fine with Catholics taking communion with them, but the Catholic church is less keen.

DPotter Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:07

Been to plenty of weddings, both Catholic and Protestant and the only ones which had communion were the Catholic services. You will probably find it’s a non-issue.
You could always ask the bride / groom if there will be communion.

SoupDragon Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:56

I have seen communion at a C of E wedding. Not often it has to be said though, in fact it might only be once!

RB68 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:53:08

Basically if they offer communion as part of a longer service its your choice, lots of people won't though so you wouldn't be alone in not doing

blueskyinmarch Mon 04-Dec-17 14:54:35

I have never had communion at a Protestant wedding and i have been to many.

MarthaArthur Mon 04-Dec-17 14:54:56

I am from a catholic country and never have i seen communion at a wedding ever. Let alone a protestant wedding confused

OlennasWimple Mon 04-Dec-17 14:55:11

I've only ever seen a communion once in a CofE wedding service, and that was very high church. So it almost certainly won't be an issue - and as pp said, many guests won't take communion anyway.

soupforbrains Mon 04-Dec-17 15:00:43

As PPs have said I believe that most Protestant weddings have a Church service and blessing rather than a full mass. I've been to a LOT of weddings in churchs both Catholic and other Christian denominations and it's never crossed my mind so I suspect that none of the anglican/protestant weddings I've been to have included communion.

If it does include communion it is unlikely that anyone will be offended by you taking communion if you really want to but it may be safer to just not. You will be among many people who receive just a blessing or don't go up to communion at all and you will certainly NOT cause offence by not taking communion.

HTH

paap1975 Tue 05-Dec-17 07:33:46

Firstly, as lots of people have said, there isn't likely to be communion at the wedding.
Secondly though, and it will probably be announced as it is during any other communion service, you will be welcome to take communion if you so wish.
I think the RCC frowns upon this, but really, it's up to you to decide.
You could always go up for a blessing (leave your hands by your side)

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Dec-17 07:35:35

IF you’re a catholic you can have communion in a Protestant church. It’s only the other way around that’s sniffy about it.

There won’t be communion anyway though.

ElizaDontlittle Tue 05-Dec-17 07:38:27

I've not seen communion at a CofE/Baptist/Methodist/free church wedding - only at the (only) Catholic wedding I've ever been to.
My own (CofE) church describes participation as this (in case it helps in future) "we welcome all baptised Christians in good fellowship with their own church" to take communion - as said previously a blessing is free for all, believer, or not.

AreThereAnyUsersnamesLeft Tue 05-Dec-17 07:50:07

Are you in Ireland or England - ime such things can be a bigger deal in Ireland. (But the fact you are even asking does make me wonder if you are in Ireland). If you don't go to church/mass very often anyway, is it that important to you to get communion at the wedding?
Other question: unless ppl know your religion in advance, how would they know you are a catholic or a protestant - though again, we have better skillz in that department in Ireland smile (though I've now lived outside of Ireland for longer than I lived there). But in England they are so open minded that the criteria for our local catholic school, doesn't require all children to be catholic - as long as they belong to a trinitarian christian denomination, they are on the list.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: