Talk

Advanced search

How did you decide your wedding date?

(63 Posts)
DenzilEmily Sat 04-Nov-17 00:01:25

Was there a specific reason

We chose April 29 as it was his birthday as well so double celebration

ItsTimeForDuggee Sat 04-Nov-17 00:11:13

It was the only date we could have that fitted with us otherwise we would have to have waited months.

ColdFeetWarmHeart Sat 04-Nov-17 00:15:04

DH wanted a summer wedding. We decided a Saturday would be best for guests. As we were getting married in a historic town we also had to avoid weekends when other events / festivals were taking place. Process of elimination really.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sat 04-Nov-17 00:18:58

My birthday - dh def can't forget either now!!

DramaAlpaca Sat 04-Nov-17 00:22:26

I'd always wanted to get married in June so we went for a Saturday in June when both the church & the reception venue we wanted were available.

idontwanttodothisanymore Sat 04-Nov-17 00:24:11

29th April is my birthday!

I booked mine for July a couple of years ago.. gave myself 16 weeks to plan etc!

I picked it because it was nice weather (it actually rained haha) but because it was 7th of 7th. So easy to remember!
Our original anniversary date was 7th too.

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 04-Nov-17 00:27:06

I wanted it 6 months after my birthday so I could celebrate twice a year. Planned it so that the wedding was at the end of the school easter holidays so that as many of our friends and family could attend.

hayli Sat 04-Nov-17 00:35:38

29th april my birthday too!
We planned for most convenient Eg school holidays at the weekend etc..

mehimthem Sat 04-Nov-17 00:49:55

It was my 2nd wedding & neither of us wanted any fuss ... so we agreed to throw a dart at the calendar (ie, the following month from the month we were in), & chose the nearest Friday. Odd but not really, I thought a Friday-day would be nice to be married, DH-to-be had wanted to elope, & as we only had a few people (family) coming to the wedding we didnt need loads of time - as it was self catered, & dress from existing wardrobe. DH still forgets it, even with his dart throwing abilities finding the date smile

confused123456 Sat 04-Nov-17 01:06:55

We wanted to be married before our baby was born, and before I was showing. So we got engaged in Jan 2015, went to the registry office in Feb 2015, and booked the 10th of April 2015. But the plan was to have our reception and stay the night in the pub/ hotel where my husband worked. But due to the races that night was all booked up, and they only had the night before. So we changed our date to the 9th of April 2015, and that was that. A 3 month engagement and 2 months to plan the whole thing.

TheCraicDealer Sat 04-Nov-17 01:32:48

DH’s Birthday is 06/06, mine is 10/10, so when I saw 09/09 was available I had to nab it.

TheHodgeHeg Sat 04-Nov-17 01:54:55

We went for the only date followed by a Sunday/bank holiday Monday at our chosen venue in Spring 2018. Turned out to be 1 April / Easter Sunday!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 04-Nov-17 02:03:21

My older sisters were married on 7/7 & 9/9 and 10 has always been my favourite/lucky number.

The year after DH proposed 10/10 just happened to be a Saturday so there was no other choice!

Graphista Sat 04-Nov-17 02:19:56

Because his team weren't playing hmm

Yep pretty much set the tone for the marriage - now divorced smile

Cavender Sat 04-Nov-17 03:16:52

The hotel had two free dates left that year, we picked the one that suited us and our immediate family best.

MaidenMotherCrone Sat 04-Nov-17 17:00:41

We met on the Summer Solstice, got engaged on the Summer Solstice and we are getting married on, you've guessed already, the Summer Solstice.

AccrualIntentions Sat 04-Nov-17 17:01:40

We wanted it to be in the autumn, and that was the only Saturday available at the venue we liked.

seven201 Sat 04-Nov-17 18:59:45

We went for whenever the venue was free in the nearest school holiday. I’m a teacher and so are quite a lot of family and friends. I would have done it on a any old weekend if I’d had to but I wanted a few days off in the run up to make bouquets etc. I was back to work on the Tuesday (bank holiday weekend) but would have loved a mini moon (hate that phrase) away.

katieferg81 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:05:26

I'll probably bum everyone out with my story but we get married this year 18th November the reason being last year on the 18th Nov my dad got up went to work had a couple of pints when he finished and came home, my mum then came back from a night out with her girlfriends just before midnight and found my dad acting strange she called an ambulance and he was rushed to hospital. In the early hours of the 19th I recieved the worst phone call of my life telling me I needed to be in my home town a 2 hour drive away as my dad had suffered a catastrophic brain bleed and wasn't likely to survive. He passed away on the 21st never regaining consciousness. In the New Year we were discussing how short and precious life is and I desperately needed something to look forward to (we also struggle with infertility) so we decided to get married (it had been discussed before but never planned). Given that the 18th was the last day my dad was my dad how I wanted to remember him and the fact I didn't want to dread Nov for the rest of my life we decided to try and turn a bad anniversary into a good one. So in 2 weeks time my mum will walk me down the aisle and whilst there maybe some sad tears shed it will in the most part hopefully be a very happy day with fond rememberence.
Sorry post is so long good luck to the brides to be and congratulations to the still happily married or happily divorced

rhodes2015 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:15:11

We got married in Rhodes (hence name) on 24th June 2015.
We wanted to get married in June so we could plan to be on holiday for future anniversaries. I have a January birthday which is crap and dh has a birthday in school summer holidays so don’t want to be away for that as too expensive!
The 24th was smack bang in the middle of the 2 week holiday in Rhodes.

makemyminduptime Sat 04-Nov-17 19:15:40

We wanted a Saturday, and no longer than a year away. The venue had a few Saturdays available about 9 or 10 months away, we checked the availability of the minister and church, which narrowed it down a bit, and then just went for one of the options. The date didn't have any particular significance.

wizzywig Sat 04-Nov-17 19:17:36

My mil chose my wedding date. Yeah we arent talking anymore

0ccamsRazor Sat 04-Nov-17 19:23:22

As soon as we could, we had set a date and had 6 weeks until we married. Was a super lovely calm run up and the day was bliss grin

CPtart Sat 04-Nov-17 19:35:03

We didn't want it in school holidays. Not near our birthdays and definitely not xmas, new year or Easter. We could only afford one holiday a year at the time too and liked to holiday late summer, so chose 7th September which was a Friday so slightly cheaper too. Also a reasonable chance of some sun (it rained!)

Longdistance Sat 04-Nov-17 19:35:54

Rugby season was over 🙄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now