Talk

Advanced search

Looks like we've been ditched for Ed Sheeran

(51 Posts)
ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 12:42:34

Sent save the dates few weeks back. Ed Sheeran tickets have just gone on sale. A number of my intended guests (close family and friends) are very excitedly announcing they've got tickets and they can't wait to go 🙈 grin Either they've forgotten or Ed has preference.

Sat here laughing ..looks like we'll be saving some money grin

OP’s posts: |
JamesSpaderMadeMeDoIt Sat 08-Jul-17 12:44:42

I'd be fuming but see what they come back with excuses wise 💕

MouldyPeach Sat 08-Jul-17 12:46:29

I'd send them messages asking if they're sure they have nothing else on that weekend.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 08-Jul-17 12:47:11

Save the dates aren't invitations though.

I don't understand why people send them. Save the date in case we invite you? Why not just send invitations?

RunningHurts Sat 08-Jul-17 12:48:24

It's an invitation (or not even that yet), not a summons...

Mylittlesunshines Sat 08-Jul-17 12:48:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 12:49:20

We sent save the dates because it'll be a summer wedding and it lets people know plenty of time in advance. It's too early to send invitations because some details that need to be on them havnt been finalised.

GemmaB78 Sat 08-Jul-17 12:49:55

We got ditched by my cousin's OH for Guns n Roses and The Stone Roses. I was half tempted to join him!

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 12:51:47

I'll state before I get jumped on that i don't expect people to come if they don't want to. This is lighthearted. I'm not going to go brideszilla. Yes, it's an invite , not a summons.

Huckleshmuckle Sat 08-Jul-17 12:53:15

Oh the shame of being ditched for boring old Ed Sheeran. I'd prefer to be ditched for someone with a bit more street cred. Like Cliff Richard.

Snap8TheCat Sat 08-Jul-17 12:55:12

It's not even an invitation, it's a save the date!

monkeyfacegrace Sat 08-Jul-17 12:55:24

To be fair I'd ditch anyone for Ed grin

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 12:57:46

I'm just waiting for the 'oh so sorry we completely forgot' and me saying 'no no don't worry you have a great time' grin

I'd totally prefer to be ditched for Metallica or iron maiden or something. I'd be jealous. Our wedding isn't going to be lavish or traditional at all. Just a BBQ and a good knees up.

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 12:58:54

It says on my save the date 'invitation to follow' so they all know they're going to be day guests.

Branleuse Sat 08-Jul-17 12:59:26

Itd have to be someone very close and special that I would not make any other summer plans on the basis of a save the date card.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 08-Jul-17 13:00:12

Could you invite Ed to the wedding?

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sat 08-Jul-17 13:00:25

I'd post wedding related updates using ed sheeran lyrics and see if they clickedgrin

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sat 08-Jul-17 13:01:07

Yes kingjoff!
But don't tell the family, just let ed cancel on themwink

sparechange Sat 08-Jul-17 13:01:13

I don't understand why people send them. Save the date in case we invite you? Why not just send invitations?

Aren't they so people block out the date because they will shortly get an invitation, but you don't yet have all he details - venue, time etc to put in the full invitation?

So people can book their travel, hotel etc before it gets too expensive but before you have finalised the time of the ceremony etc?

Huckleshmuckle Sat 08-Jul-17 13:01:16

If your groom to be books Ed Sheeran tickets, then it's time to worry OP 😅

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 13:01:30

It's only very close family and friends who are invited. 40 guests. Everyone I know who has planned a wedding has sent save the dates ..especially if it's a summer wedding. I don't expect people to drop holiday plans for us. Like I've said, it's a very laid back affair.

ScarletSienna Sat 08-Jul-17 13:01:55

Why is anyone commenting on the fact it is a save the date not an invitation when the OP knows that? The MN cliche, 'it's not a summons' is boring at the best of times but not even applicable here.

For summer weddings especially, save the dates are really useful so you know when the wedding will be and can avoid booking anything else in for that day before you get the timings etc.

OP-the good thing about this is definitely that you'll save money like you said! I'd assume that they hadn't made the connection with dates if they're posting on Facebook about it.

Huckleshmuckle Sat 08-Jul-17 13:02:57

Save the Dates are sensible I think.

TipTop333 Sat 08-Jul-17 13:03:02

Ignore the save the date haters. It's a standard thing to do, everyone understands it's because you haven't got enough details to send the invite yet, and they much appreciate the heads up that they are a guest and to expect an invite.

ExplodingCarrots Sat 08-Jul-17 13:03:46

King if Ed cancelled a gig to play my wedding think I'd have thousands of angry fans on my hands grin
Luckily DP isn't a fan of Ed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in