Talk

Advanced search

Father daughter dance ideas

(23 Posts)
PenguinDi Fri 12-May-17 08:33:09

I'm looking for a nice father daughter song but from the daughters pov, I'm not telling dad I'm planning a dance with him as he's not a dancer and won't be expecting it. I've only got You raise me up so far, any ideas?

Theworst Fri 12-May-17 08:35:34

I think it would be unkind to spring this on him if he doesn't like dancing.

Lollyb86 Fri 12-May-17 08:36:21

Not from daughter pov but I dances to My Girl with my dad at my wedding. Cheesy but it was lovely

BertrandRussell Fri 12-May-17 08:36:27

Oh please don't spring it on him.......

LineysRun Fri 12-May-17 08:39:38

Tricky one, you need to avoid all possible 'romantic' connotations! Would Wind Beneath My Wings work' or is that too clichéd?

Are you sure your Dad will be up for this, if he's not a dancer? Would an up tempo number be more of a laugh? I'm trying imagine my OH's reaction to this and I think he'd be happier doing the Birdie Song than a slow dance tbh. But maybe we are weird people.

AlbusPercival Fri 12-May-17 08:41:03

I did heartland I loved her first with my dad but it's from his POV.

Dad not a dancer but we discussed it and he was happy to make an exception for my wedding

tissuesosoft Fri 12-May-17 08:42:48

I loved her first by heartland is beautiful. My DSis danced to this with our DDad

7to25 Fri 12-May-17 08:46:10

Please no.
Some things shoes be left in America.

BertrandRussell Fri 12-May-17 08:48:36

Don't use The Wind Beneath my Wings" until you have actually read all the words. All that stuff about it being cold there in my shadow and you walking a step behind and me having all the glory...........

LineysRun Fri 12-May-17 08:54:22

Oh yeah, it's actually a quite a boastful lyric there. Back to the Birdie Song, then...

BertrandRussell Fri 12-May-17 09:19:49

My son sang it to me at a celebration thingy once, and I listened to the words for the first time. I had to keep my "oh how wonderful" face on while actually thinking "sod that for a game of soldiers......" grin

qate Fri 12-May-17 09:32:34

Because You Loved Me? Lyrics are quite good.

hippopootamus Fri 12-May-17 14:55:07

I Loved her First is really weird and possessive!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 12-May-17 15:00:23

Definitely don't spring it on him. My SIL and BIL didn't want a first dance as they're too shy. They were literally forced to perform for the family with a god awful rendition of and Elvis son sung by an uncle who fancied himself an impressionist. It was excruciating and the bride was thunderously bright red.

If he likes surprises then go for it, but for some people (myself included) it would be torture by humiliation.

YouWouldntLetItLie Fri 12-May-17 17:32:06

Another saying don't spring it on him if he's not expecting and he's not a dancer. And definitely nothing slow and weirdly smoochy either.

The song that reminds my dad of me (if you see what I mean) is Isn't She Lovely? by Stevie Wonder which is a really sweet song about a father seeing his little girl for the first time and being overwhelmed with father/daughter love. Might be easier for him to dad dance to, and something everyone else can kind of join in with?

AlbusPercival Sat 13-May-17 16:15:58

@hippopootamus what a rude thing to say when you know others on the thread chose it

Ledkr Sat 13-May-17 16:24:20

to dance with my father again By Luther Vandross.
Girls version by Celine Dion.
Just listen to it and makes me cry.

Reow Sat 13-May-17 16:25:42

Don't spring it on him.

My dad would be very anxious and uncomfortable.

Isn't this another of those cringey American customs?

kel1493 Sat 13-May-17 16:29:27

We didn't choose any songs except for signing the register and leaving, and our first dance (had here comes the bride for my entrance, very traditional). We had our 1st dance, and then, other dances followed as and when.

iklboo Sat 13-May-17 16:41:16

Dance with my father again is about the father dying. Not really apt for a wedding.

spacecowboy99 Sat 13-May-17 17:28:29

Whilst you know your dad better than us randoms, you've said he hates dancing and the idea of you springing this on him fills me with horror, much like the thread last week about the surprise baby shower.

Will he really love it? Or is this for you?

spacecowboy99 Sat 13-May-17 17:32:59

Couldn't you just make sure to have a nice, spontaneous dance with him at some point in the evening? I did this, not planned it was low key and personal, not a photo opportunity.

user1471495191 Sat 13-May-17 17:42:12

Father and Daughter - Paul Simon (from the fathers perspective though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now