Talk

Advanced search

How much info to put on save the date?

(5 Posts)
KTMorton Wed 03-May-17 11:16:41

Getting married in June 2018 abroad so arranging STD cards to mail out now. Want to keep them as minimal as possible so they look neat for one side of A5.

Going to include the obvious: our names, wedding date, location (just the name of the city and country, will mail out invites 8 months before with church and venue details) and a notice for a formal invitation to follow. The flight schedules are only released five to six months in advance for travel to this destination.

A couple of questions: (Don't really want to do this but....) shall I put a form of contact i.e. my email/phone no "for more information contact KT on..."? Would rather not get bombarded with Qs from friends/family when all further detailed info will be sent out with 8 months notice. Didn't really want to go down the wedding website route as its one more task to do/keep on top of but maybe that takes away the issue of calls/emails with questions if I put that web address on?

Some aunties and uncles i'm inviting but not my (adult) cousins, they live in the same house - so its clear its only the parents receiving an invite to follow i'm hoping that by putting just their names on the envelope this will be obvious? Or should I write their names again on the back of the STD to be extra clear?

Sorry to get so bogged down with wedding etiquette!

Glitteryfrog Wed 03-May-17 20:17:35

Your wedding is more complex than the usual - need to book annual leave, travel etc.
I think I'd email everyone and let them know as much detail as possible - you can follow up with a cute card once everyone knows what is going on.

My cousin got married abroad, we knew rough details and then the invite followed.

MimiSunshine Fri 19-May-17 11:04:31

I'd put an itinerary of when further information will be forthcoming as that's the likely questions you'll get asked. I also wouldn't send invites out 3 months before people can actually cost up / book flights as that is going to impact on whether or not they feel they can afford to go.

So I'd put something like:
We've decide to get married in [City abroad] in mid June 2018.
We wanted to let you know as soon as possible as while we would love you to come we know that finances and other commitments may mean it's not possible.

We'll send out invites with further details in early January 2018 as details of flight costs should become available then with an RSVP date by the end of February.

Best wishes
B&G

Applesandpears23 Fri 19-May-17 11:14:38

Put some form of contact details in case you send it to the wrong address. It's frustrating getting wedding invitations for former occupants and not being able to do anything about it.

B1rdinthebush Sat 20-May-17 22:33:58

Your save the date info is absolutely fine. There's no need to put anything other at this stage, especially if you're sending invites out 8 months before the wedding itself.

I would recommend a website as this is really helpful for wedding's abroad. But this needn't be included on your save the date, you can put this on your actual invite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now