Talk

Advanced search

Backless wedding dress advice wanted.

(21 Posts)
TheWeddingCandelabra Tue 11-Apr-17 23:12:33

I posted this in S&B last week but didn't get any responses so I wondered whether I could have some help here?

I've found the dress, I love it.
It has a low back, I'm debating whether or not to wear a pearl backdrop necklace with it.
Are they naff?
Would it look better with or without?

I'm really on the fence so all opinions and ideas considered!

Glitteryfrog Wed 12-Apr-17 18:25:42

Need to see the dress and the necklace.

TheWeddingCandelabra Fri 14-Apr-17 12:19:09

The dress is still in the bridal shop, my first alterations are in late May.
The photos I do have wouldn't be much use as I'm so short that the back of the dress will sit a good two inches higher and the back won't gape as it does in the photos.

If I can I'll post when it has been pinned and I can show the shape it will be.

winkywinkybumbum Sun 16-Apr-17 11:24:04

do you have a stock photo of the dress we could see?

TheWeddingCandelabra Tue 18-Apr-17 14:05:08

This isn't exactly the dress I suspect mine is a sample but this is quite close dress

There is a belt on mine which is much smaller than the detail on this sash, maybe a half a cm deep all the way around. This belt goes all the way around the sash.
The back of mine is slightly lower, it goes right down to the sash.

Hopefully this will give a fair idea of the dress.

SisterA Tue 18-Apr-17 14:11:26

That's a beautiful dress!!!

My dress has a low back also smile I think when it comes to things like this if you really love it you should do it but if you're really not sure then don't do it. As if it's something you're unsure of now/haven't loved for a long time then there's a chance you might not love it in 5 years time when you look at your photos. If you see what I mean. Also I just don't think the dress needs it - it really is stunning!

sycamore54321 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:35:36

I was all set to say yes on the assumption it was a whisky, floaty light dress but when you posted that gorgeous strong sleek modern look, I now say a definite no. And I normally love back necklaces. Stunning dress, let it speak for itself.

sycamore54321 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:35:59

Whispy, not whisky!

Squ1ggle Wed 19-Apr-17 08:45:09

No not with a dress line that, it doesn't need it. It's beautiful as it is, less is more and all that

ICJump Wed 19-Apr-17 08:48:54

That dress is great and I can't see a necklace would improve it.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 19-Apr-17 08:51:29

I think a necklace would detract from the simple elegance of the dress. It's beautiful!!

TheWeddingCandelabra Wed 19-Apr-17 12:20:21

Thank you for the compliments, in it's current state the dress doesn't fit at all, it's way too big so it's difficult to imagine it looking like the photo.

I'm in my 40s so I wanted something elegant but with a bit of an edge to it.

Originally I had looked at backless dresses and thought I would go for a necklace but I think you are all right and that this dress doesn't need it. Though I think I might have some pearls put into my hair as a decoration.

Thank you everyone.

Mirander Wed 19-Apr-17 22:29:01

No you don't need to wear any back jewellery with that dress. It's a beautiful dress and very classic and the jewellery you describe is very boho in style so the two would just clash completely. Leave as it is, stunning elegance. Add the pearls- fashion victim!

TheWeddingCandelabra Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:00

Fashion victim smile

I'm wearing pearl earrings and I thought I would have pearls in my hair too because the only other jewellery I will wear are my thin silver bangles, one for each of my children, step children and STBH. I wear them all the time.

I thought pearls in my hair would be nice and lord knows my hair needs some decoration to detract from it's rubbishness!

One of my friends is a jeweller and she's keen to contribute.
In addition, the best man is wearing a dress I am using the correct pronoun, he is by his own insistence a man in a dress so I do need a bit of bling because I can't be outdone by him grin
He the best man is getting changed into a suit for the evening do, all his choice.

And if this all sounds bonkers I think it will be!
I haven't even told you the half of it, it's going to be hilarious.

STBH and I are sticking to our guns and have chosen to be smart and formal but everyone else is going to be interesting.
Having pearls in my hair pales into insignificance by comparison.
I can't wait.

divabride Sat 22-Apr-17 10:02:07

I attended a wedding and the bride wore a similar/almost identical dress to this. She had embellishment on the shoulders to match the belt and it was just enough bling without taking away from the elegance of the dress! I'm sure whatever you decide it will look stunning though. Congratulations 

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 22-Apr-17 10:06:55

This might well be the first MN wedding where the bride is worried about being outshone by the best man's dress.
Yes to dressing up your hair and leaving dress simple

WildCherryBlossom Sat 22-Apr-17 10:09:18

I had rosebuds in my hair. I went to a wedding once where the bride had sprigs of lily of the valley in her hair. Loved it!

I also had a backless dress. The challenge for me was finding underwear. I need some sort of bra. Took a lot of hunting but eventually found a backless body suit in just the right ivory.

Your wedding sounds like it will be fabulous!

Underthemoonlight Sat 22-Apr-17 10:12:41

This was my backless dress I didn't bother with the pearl drop necklace because it was a very detailed laced dress I would if the dress had less detail on it

givemestrengthorgin Sat 22-Apr-17 10:28:50

I second exactly what Sycamore said. I assumed it would be a boho/jenny packham style dress and thought a back necklace would be stunning with it but not with that style of dress you are going for its really beautiful but I don't think a back necklace would go with it.

WildCherryBlossom Sat 22-Apr-17 10:58:32

Agreed. With a fluid vintage 20s / 30s type dress a back necklace would work but not necessary with the style you've shown us. You could have a completely OTT bouquet though.

TheWeddingCandelabra Sun 23-Apr-17 09:43:21

Breakfast grin I don't mind the best man looking fabulous, we want all of our guests to be happy and he's said he'll be happy in a dress. We're just pleased he has taken us at our word and feels comfortable dressing up. We also have teenage/young adult DCs with some unique styles. The photos are going to be brilliant, hilarious and heartwarming, we can't wait.

under that is a stunning dress, you look beautiful. I love it. Congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now