Talk

Advanced search

Family picnic wedding

(12 Posts)
paap1975 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:14:26

Hello all. I'm wondering what you would wear as the bride to a family picnic in a park. There will be around 20 guests present, of whom 7 will be children. The idea is to invite everyone to the picnic and announce we've got married. I'd like to look like a bride, but still be free to run around with the kids, sit on the floor etc. As the dress is likely to get dirty, I don't want to put a fortune into either. Because of family logistics, we are likely to have 4 actual events. This is the one for the part of the family that lives on the other side of the world. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Mar-17 10:31:46

How long after the wedding will the picnic take place? It would actually look quite odd to "look like a bride" for four events held after the ceremony itself. Especially when one of them is a picnic in a park?

Twistmeandturnme Tue 21-Mar-17 10:35:18

white sundress, possibly 50s inspired with a fluffy underskirt, or broderie anglais floaty if very slim.. Not expensive so grass stains not important. White flat pumps (so no sinking into grass). Smile the most important accessory smile congratulations.

phoenixtherabbit Tue 21-Mar-17 10:40:48

Why would it look odd to be a bride at a picnic? I don't see the issue!

Is the picnic like the reception op? What are the other events and when are they happening?

paap1975 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:46:50

molly, the picnic will be our wedding announcement and reception for the family living on that side of the world. We will have had a civil ceremony with no-one present some time beforehand at home. We plan to have a photographer present as it is unlikely that we will all be together again at any point in the future. The 4 events we are looking at are 1. civil ceremony with no-one present, 2. the picnic for my family, 3. family dinner and announcement for his relatives (also in another country but closer), 4. a church blessing and party where we live for everyone who can make it. The logistics of involving all out key people are pretty complicated.
Twist, thanks, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I am a size 12-14, hourglass

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Mar-17 10:47:09

On the actual wedding day, it wouldn't. It sounds like op is travelling to four different places in the weeks following the wedding though? Unless I've got that wrong?
Dressing as a bride each time would be a little OTT.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Mar-17 10:47:41

Oh, x post.

DoItTooJulia Tue 21-Mar-17 10:49:57

Nobody asked if it'd look odd though-op just wants to know what you'd wear.

I think the sundress or borderie anglaise would look fab! Wear some flowers in your heat for a full on hippy bride look too!

Have lots of fun-it all sounds fabulous!

paap1975 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:56:47

And, yes, I realise the set-up is unusual, but seeing I can't afford to fly 20-odd people round the world and host them and another 30-odd people across a continent and host them, this is the best solution we can find. The only people likely to be at 2 or more of these events are my parents.

paap1975 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:57:09

Julia, I love the flowers in hair idea!

Reow Tue 21-Mar-17 11:20:36

Something chilled out and hippie-ish? Asos have some bargains:

www.asos.com/asos/asos-maxi-dress-with-lace-inserts-pom-poms/prd/7574640?iid=7574640&clr=White&SearchQuery=white%20dress&pgesize=36&pge=0&totalstyles=1023&gridsize=3&gridrow=10&gridcolumn=1

www.asos.com/amuse-society/amuse-society-crepe-lace-insert-beach-maxi-dress/prd/7591087?iid=7591087&clr=Casablancawhite&SearchQuery=white%20dress&pgesize=204&pge=1&totalstyles=1023&gridsize=3&gridrow=17&gridcolumn=3

www.asos.com/asos/asos-lace-back-dolphin-satin-mini-dress/prd/6294310?iid=6294310&clr=Cream&SearchQuery=white%20dress&pgesize=204&pge=2&totalstyles=1023&gridsize=3&gridrow=59&gridcolumn=2

paap1975 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:15:37

Thank you Reow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now