Talk

Advanced search

Making my own artificial bouquets

(14 Posts)
HironsBirons Wed 08-Feb-17 14:48:31

I'm wondering about making my own artificial bouquets for my wedding, I've got six bridesmaids so trying to find ways to keep costs down as it can spiral so easily. Where would I even begin? Where is the best place to get flowers from? Thanks!

girlywhirly Thu 09-Feb-17 16:14:58

There are artificial flowers in The Range, Dunelm, Hobbycraft. The Range has a limited number of simple posies ready made, which you could make more individual by adding coloured ribbons or lace, adding a bit of greenery or some wired gems or pearls. I was impressed today by the individual artificial roses in The Range as well.

FairytaleOfSkegness Sun 12-Feb-17 12:37:10

What about Ebay? There should be a big range of colours on there. One of my friends had a lovely artificial bunch made for her and the lady who did it sprayed my friends favourite perfume on them so something like that might be a nice touch (with a cheap perfume!)

HironsBirons Sun 12-Feb-17 13:13:08

I'll have a look at some of those places, thanks. My only worry with eBay is that the quality may not be the best, or that they'll be foamy. I could just risk it and order some but if I don't use them it's a waste! I'll have a look though. Thanks smile

JustHavinABreak Thu 16-Feb-17 09:13:56

I considered doing this and couldn't believe how much was available online. Do a quick Google. In the end, I just didn't have time. I bought a book on it and if you want to pm me your name and address I'll send it on to you. It would be nice if another bride got sone use from it.

TheQueenSnortsAvocados Thu 16-Feb-17 09:21:37

I appreciate it's not for everyone, but I crocheted/knitted all of mine - time consuming, but quite cheap.

Whileweareonthesubject Thu 16-Feb-17 09:35:09

I once did this for a friend. I found a hidden gem locally - a kind of craft warehouse that stocked an amazing range of colours and types of artificial flower, as well as all the wires and ribbons. I was able to make her a beautiful bouquet of summer flowers months ahead of time, as well as coordinating bridesmaid posies and table arrangements. I found my hidden gem by accident, when chatting to a friend who was on the pta at dcs school - pta used it for bits and pieces for various events. Might be worth seeing if there's a similar place near you as a) you can see before you buy b) you can get exactly the type of flowers you want and c) they were way cheaper than anywhere else.

HironsBirons Thu 16-Feb-17 23:11:10

Just oh wow what a lovely offer!! Thank you so much smile would you like anything for it?

TheQueen I bet they were gorgeous! I quite fancy paper flowers actually, but I'm concerned about them getting wet and disintegrating or the colour running etc. May look into it again.

While sorry if I'm being stupid blush is the shop called the hidden gem? Or was it 'a hidden gem' - tried googling it and couldn't find a shop blush I'm quite close to both Edinburgh and Glasgow so I'm sure there must be SOMETHING locally. I'll check it out.

Thank you!

JustHavinABreak Fri 17-Feb-17 05:56:27

Not at all! It's a gift smile I rooted it out yesterday in case you wanted it. If you send me your address I'll post it on Monday. I'm in Ireland so it'll take a few days to get to you.

Helbelle75 Fri 17-Feb-17 05:58:22

I made fabric bouquets and they looked lovely. Quite simple to do as well. I'll try to find a photo.

Apfelbunny Fri 17-Feb-17 06:01:13

I found that garden centres tend to have a good range of artificial flowers

Helbelle75 Fri 17-Feb-17 06:07:09

My bouquet, bridesmaid's bouquet and button hole.

scooobydooo Fri 17-Feb-17 06:23:58

What is your budget per bridesmaid for materials?

I looked into doing it myself but decided after the cost of materials and how long it would take me (not at all creative) it just wouldn't be worth the effort for amount of money it would save me.

I ended up getting my flowers from Silkblooms and they were lovely and very realistic.

They make everything bespoke but do have examples online of bridesmaid bouquets/wands/posies from £15-20. If you went for an exact design already on the website you can change the colours to fit your theme, and take out/change any bits of decorative stuff you didn't want.

I contacted them via Facebook messenger but they do email too, very helpful people!

Just a thought if you decided not to go ahead with making them yourself!

shellistar Sun 19-Mar-17 11:37:01

I'm doing the same - the warehouse we're going to (and it sounds similar to the one mentioned above) is called Country Baskets. They have a great range and this beautiful pomander for the flower girls is only about £5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now