Talk

Advanced search

Doing your own make up

(21 Posts)
emmeline7725 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:44:13

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do my own make up for my wedding in July. I've booked a trial with estee lauder and also want to have one at Charlotte Tilbury. I just wondered if anyone has any tips or advice. Did you do your own? Can anyone recommend any particularly good ranges? (obviously want it to be long lasting) Has anyone bought from Charlotte Tilbury?

Many thanks

Ragwort Sun 05-Feb-17 16:01:51

I did my own 'by default' grin - I'd booked into a beautician to have it done, came home, it looked awful - I just scrubbed it off and put on my usual make up - absolutely fine !

I would use whatever you are comfortable with no need to buy expensive stuff, unless that is what you usually use.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Feb-17 17:53:51

There are some good tutorials on YouTube, that will advise you how to apply. E.g. If you put concealer on your eyelids then eyeshadow will last much longer, that sort of thing. I went to a make up artist for my base, but added my own finishing touches. I think if you want it to last all day, it's better to get at least your base done professionally.

Mouse510 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:00:51

I did my own and my DMum's. We had a lesson at Bobbi Brown and spent a fortune on make up (just over £400!!!) but we are both still using the make up now 2 years later. I watched some good tutorials on YouTube - I can highly recommend Pixie Woo's tutorials. I also bought myself some reasonable brushes which definitely make a difference to applying and staying power.

I think YouTube tutorials are a good start. Pinterest is pretty good too. I had my make-up done professionally but did my own hair and Pinterest was great smile

emmeline7725 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:52:32

Thank you for the YouTube advice. I hadn't thought of that. Also like the idea of getting a professional to do my base.

I have a trial at Estee Lauder next week so I'll see how that goes then re-evaluate.

Sittingintheshade Thu 09-Feb-17 20:57:23

I went to Mac and paid for a bridal lesson, then bought the stuff I liked, still using it a year on and was happy with how I looked on the day

SweetChickadee Thu 09-Feb-17 21:02:43

My mate did mine - she had a lesson for hers and did a lovely job.

Pearlmum1 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:12:30

Watch lots of you tube videos, get some real techniques brushes if on a budget or bobbi brown if you are not. Put a cream eyeshadow underneath your powder eyeshadow..Chanel, dior and bobbi brown do lovely subtle sparkle ones and they hold the eyeshadow in place. Get a dior universal brow pencil..best one I've ever used and so east. Lip liner all over the lips for hold and so you don't end up with just the line left when your lipstick wears off. I love Dior Nude foundation or Tom Ford stick foundation..used with the primark £3 oval brush..absolutely amazing! Homedics do a great sonic face brush to use in the run up to your wedding, I've noticed a huge difference in my skin and it was less than £30. Get a glow primer from Estee lauder and a lovely powder highlighter from Dior in luminizer 001 or laura mercier. Beautiful blusher on Dior called Rose Cherie.
Sorry for the long list, I work on a beauty counter and do wedding make up so I love looking at all the nicest products to use. You will be fine doing it yourself if you are calm, can do it well anyway and will practice. If not then ask a beauty counter girl, they often are wedding artists on the side, get them to do a free trial on the counter. Good luck!

LurkingQuietly Thu 09-Feb-17 21:49:37

PLEASE get someone to take photos of your trial with a flashy camera beforehand. I did my own and hate my photos 😢 a bit more make up and I would have looked better. The flash on the camera didn't help.

Lovefromhull Thu 09-Feb-17 21:55:20

Did own make up sat on the bed with the contents of my mums make up bag! Never really wore it before, never practiced, didn't occur to me to worry about it. Was a long time ago though!

Cosmicglitterpug Thu 09-Feb-17 21:57:27

I just wore my usual eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. But I did go to Illamasca for a trial although I wasn't keen on the look.

piglet81 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:00:00

I'm not generally a makeup person and hated the idea of looking 'done' so just put on a bit more mascara, eyeliner and Benetint than i'd normally wear to go out. Did go to the hairdresser though as am rubbish at doing anything nice with my hair.

CointreauVersial Thu 09-Feb-17 22:02:00

Same as piglet81, I did my own. I couldn't bear the thought of having heavy/formal make-up that wasn't "me".

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Feb-17 06:35:51

I've seen some stunning brides and stunning photos but they don't look like themselves. They have that celebrity groomed everyone looks the same feel about them.

I think doing it yourself, but more intense than usual and with long lasting products/techniques is lovely.

Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 07:41:18

Did mine myself, I spent ages going round the makeup counters and practicing! I wore it all day quite a few times to make sure it would stay on too.

I used:
No 7 primer
Bare Minerals foundation, concealer and powder, with a spot of Touché Eclat
Bobbi Brown eyeliner
Clinique eyeshadow and (I think) lipstick

It was fun and it saved us a lot of money too smile

Spudlet Fri 10-Feb-17 07:41:51

Oh, also Clinique mascara. I knew I'd forgotten something grin

SinisterBumFacedCat Fri 10-Feb-17 18:05:42

Watching this with interest. My wedding is in May and there's no way I can afford a makeup artist. But my skin is bloody awful so I need some kind of miracle! I have rosacre and large pores, so I can't use a green base as if just sits in my pores and looks like I have green spots on my face. Does anyone have any advice on concealer/foundation/powder? Sorry to hijack thread confused

emmeline7725 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:50:58

Thanks everyone for the advice. Had a trial at Estee Lauder last week and it looked lovely but if I bought everything the lady used it would cost £438!!! I'll not be spending that much! Probably going to buy primer, foundation, concealer and lipstick. My usual mascara and blusher will do.

MsMoppet Mon 20-Feb-17 03:53:15

I did my own after an YSL make-over. I bought their primer and foundation, pinky lipstick and some waterproof mascara. Everything else my own. I tested it by wearing on my hen party. If it could get through that it could get through anything! And it did, looked like me but better in the photos. Polished but not too made up.

buzzmoon Sun 26-Feb-17 22:07:09

Any tips for avoiding looking rubbish with flash? I'm planning on doing my own too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now