Talk

Advanced search

Wedding compensation?

(8 Posts)
Silenttype Sat 04-Feb-17 18:01:40

Hi, me and my fiance booked our wedding around 18 months ago, for september next year, we booked it so far in advance so we had plenty of time to save and plan, and we managed to get a really good deal. However, we were told last week that the venue has been bought and is being turned into residential apartments, so we can no longer get married there. I've had a look about and the quotes we've had for what we were getting at our original venue are around £3,000 more, and we just can't afford that, so for now it looks like we'll have to postpone. We've already paid deposits for photographers and chairs, and sent out save the dates. Is there anyway we can get compensation or help with costs towards another venue, seeing as we wont be able to have the wedding we wanted?

Littlefish Sat 04-Feb-17 18:08:10

Did you take out wedding insurance when you started booking things?

BlueIguana Sat 04-Feb-17 18:52:10

I think your photographer etc should let you move your date to another date they are available if you explain circumstances. I'd have to see your contract with your venue to have an opinion on if you have any recourse against them but I think it unlikely or less you had wedding insurance policy?

NapQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 18:54:25

Tbh if they were selling weddings for 3k less than their competitors then no wonder they've been bought out.

Could you do some serious shaving of the detail? Make your own invites, a cheaper hen and stag, a cheaper package from the photographer, fewer daytime guests and more evening guests.

DirtyBlonde Sat 04-Feb-17 18:55:09

Contact your insurers; venue going out of business should be covered.

NapQueen Sat 04-Feb-17 18:55:09

Hang on....you've sent our Save the Dates already for September 2018???

BilboBagg1 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:51:03

Is this the Place Hotel by any chance? We just had the same thing happen to us...

BilboBagg1 Thu 09-Feb-17 17:05:35

Well if it is or isn't this venue, going off how our original venue dealt with us: you should firstly be refunded for the deposit you paid and offered additional compensation (a percentage of your wedding package price) as well as any registrar cancellation fees that you might incur by changing venue and the fees for your save the dates as you will no doubt want them redone and sent out again. That is what we were offered and we have 10 months to go. Anything else you have booked all I could suggest is asking for dates to be moved. And also the hotel should be helping you find another venue if they are not yet closed. Our doesn't close until April so they've instructed us to utilise them as much as possible for negotiations and things like that. The new venue that we are going with was actually a recommendation of theirs and they had called ahead to get us the best possible package. If you haven't already I would suggest you try and arrange a meeting with the hotel manager. More than likely the staff will be happy to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now