Talk

Advanced search

Wedding dress shopping

(16 Posts)
Anon24 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:02:50

Tomorrow I am going for the first time to look at dresses.

I have no idea what type/style I am looking for!!

My main question is what should I wear to the shop?..
Do I need to look smart?! I was thinking something quick and easy to change out of, joggers or leggings but now I'm thinking that might not be suitable!!!

Thanks

SwearyGodmother Sat 21-Jan-17 13:06:02

Wear substantial pants. You'll probably be in a changing room with a member of staff in just your knickers so big ones help you feel less exposed.

I wouldn't worry about looking smart though - most people I saw in dress shops when I was wedding dress shopping were in jeans and tops or frocks and leggings. Dress for comfort.

annlee3817 Sat 21-Jan-17 23:32:45

I just went in my jeans and a top. Try everything on style wise, even if you're not sure when looking at it on the hanger. I had particular styles in mind that I was adamant I wanted and they didn't suit me, ended up with a dress I would never have picked out of a magazine, but felt amazing in. Hope you have a good time smile

WanderingNotLost Sun 22-Jan-17 01:29:32

I wore flesh coloured seamless 'invisible' knickers, and took a pair of heels to wear when trying the dresses on.
One thing I'd recommend is to try sitting down in the dresses. Apparently a frequent mistake is for brides to opt for some beautiful fitted dress with a corset, and they don't realise they can't sit in it until they're in the church getting married!

ShoutOutToMyEx Sun 22-Jan-17 01:54:09

I wore jeans and a t shirt. With a blue bra and a pink thong hmm

I SHOULD have worn nude Spanx and a nude bra. All I will say is it's lucky I'm not shy.

NerdyBird Mon 23-Jan-17 21:09:41

I've not been dress shopping yet, but also wear shoes that are easy to get on and off and bring ones that are like what you might wear on the day. A hair bobble or something so you can see what it's like with hair up or down. Snacks and water!

daniella29 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:16:46

I think you should wear something simple, in which you are comfortable. Make sure your clothes are correct fitting.

CMOTDibbler Tue 24-Jan-17 10:33:36

Big nude pants and a nude strapless bra. Then ask them in the first shop to bring you one of each dress shape and just try them on - you don't know what might surprise you and look good, and then you'll be able to decide what you do and don't like on you.

GlitterandSequins Thu 26-Jan-17 21:12:47

I wore leggings and a loose dress that I could change in and out if pretty quick, also very little/no make up as I was scared I would get it on the dresses!

Best piece of advice is to trust the girls in the shop, I really thought I know what I wanted and had previously dismissed the dress that I ended up in love with as on the hanger it didn't look like what I wanted at all!

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 26-Jan-17 21:15:56

I wouldn't go with a 'type' or 'style tbh.

No one I know actually ended up with the type of dress they thought they would grin.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 26-Jan-17 21:17:11

Also be prepared that if they have to be made to order, they can take months. Mine took 5 shock

hhaz Thu 26-Jan-17 21:19:13

Easiest to wear a strapless bra, even if you aren't planning on a strapless dress, and nude knickers that you're not worried bout strangers seeing you in! Have a fab time x

picklemepopcorn Thu 26-Jan-17 21:40:18

A jumper or shift dress that you can whip over your head. Not leggings or jeans... Not too much make up as it can get on the dresses.

Narrow the colour down first, what works for your skin tone. My mum wanted me in White and crystals, all sparkly cold. I knew I needed warmer colours, and ended up with a pale gold.

Mungobungo Thu 26-Jan-17 21:48:57

Definitely strapless bra and nude coloured undies.

Try something in every style if you can to get an idea of what suits your body shape.

Take a pair of heels if you're planning to do heels on the day as you'll stand differently in heels which will make a difference to the look and fit of the dress.

If this is a scouting mission (e.g. You're not sure if you're ready to buy yet and just trying to figure out what suits) take a pad and pen and write the names of designers and dresses you like. You won't be allowed to take photos until you've ordered the dress.

Forget 'normal' fashion sizing. Bridal sizes are a bit out sometimes, and most advice is to order a size up so you can alter down.

Be prepared to stump up a 50% deposit.

Most importantly:
Set your budget. How much are you really willing to spend and does that include embellishments like veil, headdress, alterations etc. Alterations can be quite pricey so make sure that the whole package is affordable.

Don't try on ANY dress that is over budget. The odds are that you fall in love with it and will either go way over budget to have it or have to walk away and regret it (this happened to me).

Tell the assistants what your budget is and they will find you an array of dresses to try on that you know you can afford.

My mistake was goin into a boutique and trying on all sorts of gowns that I chose off the rails, because that's what they do on films, right? Terrible idea. I fell in love with a gown I couldn't afford and regret it to this day 10 yrs on. I loved the dress I eventually got but it still wasn't a patch on the first one.

kel1234 Fri 03-Feb-17 00:15:19

I wore my normal clothes. They do suggest a strapless bra (especially if you intend to wear a bra under your dress on the actual day).
I was at the beginning of my pregnancy and I just wore my normal jeans/ leggings/ trousers and tops.
(Good luck. I was lucky I knew exactly what I wanted and only tried on 2 dresses and knew I'd found the one).

kel1234 Fri 03-Feb-17 00:15:27

I wore my normal clothes. They do suggest a strapless bra (especially if you intend to wear a bra under your dress on the actual day).
I was at the beginning of my pregnancy and I just wore my normal jeans/ leggings/ trousers and tops.
(Good luck. I was lucky I knew exactly what I wanted and only tried on 2 dresses and knew I'd found the one).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now