Talk

Advanced search

Eloping - just the two of us

(11 Posts)
ElopingToNZ Sat 14-Jan-17 04:41:59

I've name changed as we're not telling anyone until we get back.

How easy is it to find witnesses on the day you're getting married? DP and I want to have a proper elopement and not tell anyone till after we get married but I'm worried we wont find any witnesses, DP is all "it'll be fine, stress less" but overthinking is pretty much my middle name!

Has anyone done this successfully? How did you find witnesses?

TIA

Melstarrynight Sat 14-Jan-17 04:48:59

We got married in a hotel on our own and some of the staff were our witnesses. Where are you getting married?

ElopingToNZ Sat 14-Jan-17 05:02:18

I hadn't thought of that - it'll probably be Hamilton as that's where we're holidaying.

We really need to look into this properly as we've only got a few months till we go.

Off to call some celebrants now smile

sashh Sat 14-Jan-17 06:20:15

Registry offices can often find you witnesses if you tell them in advance.

Alternatively put out a call to MN

aretheyhavingalaff Sat 14-Jan-17 06:29:16

We did it and the place where we got married (in Scotland) organised witnesses. Very simple.

Forkrightorf Tue 17-Jan-17 13:58:21

I'm getting married next month, just the two of us as well. Original plan was to find witnesses on the street but I'm stressing a bit - it's early morning on a weekday so I'm worried that nobody who would have the time to spare will be around! Went to the registry office to give notice this morning, registrar told us that staff there aren't allowed to be witnesses either. Good luck find yours! smile

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-17 14:04:44

There have been a few of these threads on MN over the years and you will always find a good handful of witnesses free and willing to travel!

Just tell us all when and roughly where smile

Forkrightorf Tue 17-Jan-17 14:42:47

The mn wedding thread in classics is one of my favourites Soup, I am tempted to have 2 vipers as our witnesses! I'll run it past DP first, he's desperate to pay a couple of homeless people to do itconfused

SoupDragon Tue 17-Jan-17 15:22:55

You'll probably find two vipers willing to dress as homeless people in order to do it...

Sinkingfeeling Tue 17-Jan-17 23:29:56

I'm a Registrar - staff at Register Offices aren't allowed to be witnesses. I would try to arrange witnesses before the day of the wedding, to reduce stress levels. We stipulate that witnesses have to be over 16 years and speak/understand English fluently - not as easy just to pull in witnesses off the street in the very multicultural area I work in.

ElopingToNZ Thu 19-Jan-17 05:51:38

We cracked and spoke to some friends that live in NZ and they're going to be witnesses for us. It's not what we wanted but it's reduced the stress levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now