Talk

Advanced search

Engagement ring question

(8 Posts)
Kel1234 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:35:08

Someone I know has recently got engaged. The ring has quite a thick band and is a princess cut and the square is fairly large. But instead of being one big diamond, it looks like it's 9 tiny stones put together to look like 1 big one, and it has the 4 prongs in each corner.
I know answers will likely be "it's a personal choice" and "if she likes it its all that matters". But she asked people she knows their thoughts, and I said "it's a lovely ring if you're into that style". She then asked if I liked it, so I said "it's a lovely ring, personally I wouldn't choose it for myself, but it's a lovely ring" (I wouldn't choose it as I prefer the classic solitaire diamond e rings, but that's just my preference).
Now she's really worried people will think it looks cheap and tacky. Any thoughts?

Goingtobeawesome Mon 21-Nov-16 19:37:00

Has she asked you to ask other people?

Ask her why she cares what others think, only she needs to like it.

Watto1 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:44:45

The only correct thing to say when asked what you think of someone's engagement ring is "it's lovely." Full stop. Not "it's lovely but ...."

Kel1234 Mon 21-Nov-16 21:58:17

Yes she has. She wants as many opinions as possible. And she was asking me other questions like. " Would you have been happy if your husband propose to you with it?" And "Is it your style? Would you want this style of ring?"
Sorry but i couldn't lie.
Mind you my own mil made negative comments about all 3 of my rings from dh, so I know what it's like.

Shesinfashion Fri 25-Nov-16 10:08:53

Sounds like she doesn't really like it either.

Araminta99 Sat 03-Dec-16 04:39:05

It sounds like she doesn't like it and is wanting reassurance. To be honest I think whatever style of ring you had, even a huge 1 million carat stone, there would be people who wouldn't like it, so it seems daft to ask people if they'd be happy to have your ring.

FingersAndThumb Mon 26-Dec-16 16:09:53

I know someone with a ring identical to what you describe. I hadn't given it a second thought to be honest as long as she likes it that's all that matters isn't it?

Lelloteddy Mon 26-Dec-16 21:06:53

Did she chose it? Or was it chosen for her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now