Talk

Advanced search

Hen Party Ideas

(20 Posts)
Amaya123 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:09:09

Whats the best hen party you've been on? looking to do something not the ordinary any suggestions?

Leeds2 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:42:43

If I were choosing, I would go to a meal in my home town, or the bride to be's home town, at a decent restaurant with lovely wine. Optional to go to club afterwards, but no pressure put on those who, for whatever reason, didn't want to.

I went to one where we hired a house in Devon, on the weekend that a beer festival was in town. Was fun!

user1487324876 Fri 17-Feb-17 10:15:46

You can arrange some games to play like bingo cards, balloon question time, truth and dare games.

HairsprayBabe Fri 17-Feb-17 10:22:39

I have been to two,

One was a weekend in the bride's home town, shopping, nails, dinner out, went to see the dreamboys, clubbing, late brunch the next day and home was really really nice.

Other was one night out in the bride's home town. Drinks at hers where the maid of honor didn't show, the other bridesmaids refused to play the games she had set up and complained about everything. Then out to the gay bars for some clubbing, 1/2 the group went home before we went out and the bars were really dull and full of creepy old blokes looking to get some with women who had let their guard down because they were in a gay club. No food, awkward atmosphere = shitty evening!

So just do something that the majority will enjoy, dont embrace drama and make sure you feed people!

Cinderellamovedout Sat 18-Feb-17 11:46:28

What does the bride like?

That's where I start with hen nights. It's not the time for majority rules, this one us all about the bride spending time with her friends without the worry hosting brings.

Do something the bride will love, the other guests all have the option of not going if it doesn't appeal! (Or organising something themselves).

The best hen night I went to was a night away in a cottage in Edinburgh, just bride and her best friends.
-collected bride at 1pm (without telling her where we were going.)
-afternoon tea
-printable bridal game
- decorating empire biscuits (ending with the fiasco "Amy! Don't lick the penis, I haven't finished!" )
- lots of chatting, cake, food and prosecco
- gave Bride option to go out for drinks (she declined)
- Cards Against Humanity
- Balloons fIlled with questions. Pop the balloon, everyone answers question. Silly forfeit if you don't answer.

Loads of people would have hated that. She loved it. It was just the 5 of us (bride and bridesmaids), all friends for years. The next day we had breakfast delivered to the cottage from hotel, packed up and drove to one house for hair and make up trials.

Another bride is doing a vintage style wedding in church hall. She likes sewing, knitting crafting. The rest of us stab ourselves trying to fix buttons. Her hen might include a sewing workshop were we make bunting for the hall, cake and cocktails. (Unless her maid of honour has her way- then there will be strippers).

Escape Puzzle Rooms could be fun for a bride who likes puzzles, there are city treasure hunt companies out there with entire afternoons worth of scavenger clues and prizes.

If you focus on what the bride enjoys Google that with "hen do" you might be surprised at what comes up!

BilboBagg1 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:23:59

I've only actually been on one but it was so fun! We had afternoon tea, then went to a cocktail masterclass and ended up in a private karaoke room!

meditrina Wed 22-Feb-17 09:26:45

What makes a good party for the bride?

Doing something she likes, and is essentially the 'special' version of how you party for other occasions, is a good recipe for a good do.

ExpectoPatronummmm Wed 22-Feb-17 17:06:40

We got a bus to another city then went and did "life drawing" sounds cheesy but everyone absolutely loved it and didn't expect it.
It involved a naked model (fit) and a n art teacher and we had to draw the naked model whilst having a laugh and a drink.

We then went for a meal

Then to hotel to get glammed up

Then a karaoke bus picked us up and took us for a ride around the city for 90 mins whilst we sang and got drunk.

Was brilliant

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 22-Feb-17 17:10:12

Depends on the bride. Expecto's night is my idea of hell, although I'm sure it was fun for them all!

Are you the bride or the organiser? My best friend has been begged to make mine low key. No matching tshirts, penis necklaces, blow up dolls, sashes, hats, bride's outfit etc. I'd be sick with anxiety and stress if anything like that was planned for mine! I'd like a spa day / trip to Bath Spa, that sort of thing, lovely dinner and late night in a good pub. I'm sure that sounds boring to a lot of people!

Helbelle75 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:33:16

My friends all enjoy different things so we tried to cater for everyone.
Afternoon tea in my sister's back garden with some silly games organised by my friends.
Then a burlesque lesson as I love dancing and a lot of my friends are dancers.
Then a cocktail making session and pizza in a bar in town.
People could opt to go me to all or some of it and cost about £50 if they decided to do all.
It was great!
I definitely would have hated strippers and sleazy stiff. Not me at all. Fortunately my sister was my bridesmaid and organised it all.

welshweasel Sun 05-Mar-17 11:39:36

I've been on loads. The best ones have all involved staying in a big house with a shed load of fizz, hot tub/pool, an activity on the Saturday (clay pigeon shooting/assault course/canyoning/punting) then either a posh dinner in or a meal in a pub, home Sunday. Keep it affordable and fun. Clubbing/night out in town has always been a bit shit and expensive. Ditto spa break but some people love it. Biggest source of resentment on any that I've been on is ways money so find out people's budgets and work to the lowest one. I've been on some amazing weekends that have come in at under £150 including everything.

Iamastonished Sun 05-Mar-17 20:38:16

"So just do something that the majority will enjoy, dont embrace drama and make sure you feed people!"

And something that people don't have to take out a second mortgage for. It will cause resentment and loads of drop outs if you choose something expensive.

I'm with VivienneWestwoodsKnickers on ExpectoPatronummmm's suggestions. I loathe karaoke and can't draw for toffee.

JustSpeakSense Sun 05-Mar-17 21:01:32

Friend of mine went on a 'life drawing' hen party (she has an amazing sense of humour, up for anything, rarely gets embarrassed) however, she said it was so awkward, everybody hated it, afterwards the model was trying to chat them up and asked if he could join them for their night out, they declined.
Perhaps it was this particular venue / model? But really don't think it's everyone's cup of tea.

Lilaclily Sun 05-Mar-17 21:04:41

Okay so personally I hate anything that is an activity
I'd prefer an Italian meal followed by cocktails, no clubbing , just a nice wine bar or cocktail bar
Can be awkward if you've got a mix of friends who don't know each other more on one hideous spa day I had to share a room with someone I didn't know !

Lilaclily Sun 05-Mar-17 21:05:15

Plus think about if your inviting older relations like the mums

Iamastonished Sun 05-Mar-17 21:16:35

"I'd prefer an Italian meal followed by cocktails,"

Isn't that the wrong way round Lilaclily? grin

I'm not keen on "activities" either. A quiz maybe, but nothing silly or attention seeking.

Lilaclily Sun 05-Mar-17 21:18:16

Is it?!

Lilaclily Sun 05-Mar-17 21:19:36

Isn't it always meal first then drinks ? Otherwise everyone would be home too early !

Iamastonished Sun 05-Mar-17 21:47:13

I much prefer a couple of drinks before a meal. Once I have eaten I lose interest in drinking and would rather have a cup of tea.

BlueChampagne Tue 07-Mar-17 13:43:38

Spa hotel with custom-written Murder Mystery before and during dinner was fun.
Picnic and afternoon at the races, followed by spa hotel was fun too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now