Talk

Advanced search

Wedding & thundery showers forecast - how do you stay positive?

(16 Posts)
Randomposter Fri 27-May-16 20:14:44

Just that really - going to a wedding tomorrow & looks like bad weather all day. Any experience?

BackforGood Sat 28-May-16 00:16:50

er.... take an umbrella ? hmm

Are you seriously asking if anyone has been to a wedding in the rain before now, or have I mis-read this ?

Titsywoo Sat 28-May-16 00:20:00

Just have fun! I went to a brilliant wedding and it peed with rain and there was a massive thunderstorm during the ceremony which was actually pretty amazing.

Randomposter Sat 28-May-16 08:35:52

BackforGood - I'm not talking about a little light drizzle, I'm talking heavy thundery showers ( as stated in thread title ) an umbrella is pretty useless in those conditions. How does the bride/bridesmaids/ etc get from the car to the church if it's literally pouring with rain? - the walk from the car to the church is about a minute long, what happens to the brides dress in awful weather conditions? who's holding it up? who's holding all the umbrellas? Do I need to explain further?

Titsywoo - thank you smile yes, I'm sure once you're all in the church a good thunderstorm is very dramatic.

AgeOfEarthquakes Sat 28-May-16 08:40:31

It pissed it down when I got married but it wasn't a problem. The wedding cars came equipped with massive white brollies and I just held my dress out of the way with help from a bridesmaid as we walked from the cars to the church. We actually have some lovely pictures of us in the rain laughing under massive umbrellas. The photographer even asked if he could use them on his website to show than rain doesn't = disaster.

Shadow1986 Sat 28-May-16 08:43:11

I would get some huge golf size umbrellas today. I would imagine whoever is giving away the bride would hold the umbrella over her.
If it's showers you might be lucky enough that all the entering and exiting the wedding are during a dry patch!! I once drove to a wedding in the same car as the groom and the whole journey it was torrential with lightning. But stopped just before we got there, and before the bride arrived luckily.

Shakey15000 Sat 28-May-16 08:46:21

Golf umbrellas all the way. It rained ALL day on my wedding day. Nothing to be done apart from accept it and make the best of it.

Nannawifeofbaldr Sat 28-May-16 08:46:57

My Mum And Dad had such bad weather for their summer wedding that the sky was black mid afternoon. Everyone got soaked.

There are brilliant happy pics of them under huge umbrellas.

They've been extremely happy for over 45 years.

Weddings aren't about perfection.
Weddings are about love and commitment.
Good marriages have nothing to do with how nice the day was.

BackforGood Sat 28-May-16 15:01:54

As everyone else said - you just get golfing umbrellas and lift up the dress so it doesn't drag along a wet floor.

As it happens, I was at a wedding recently, in the pouring rain. Ceremony was in a church (without parking) and then Reception was in a large tent, in a field. We not only coped, but everyone had a lovely day.
On my wedding day we had rain, sleet, snow, gale force winds, and lovely sunshine. The weather is one thing you can't control, so you just get on with it. In our case we took most of the photos inside rather than outside. You just alter things as you go along.

Have to agree with what Nanna says about it not mattering if it rains on the day.

Randomposter Sun 29-May-16 01:31:08

Thank you BackforGood smile yes, you just have to get on with it that's true. As it happens the weather turned out fine so I needn't have worried. ( just goes to show how wrong weather forecasts can be )
Thank you everyone smile

maggiethemagpie Mon 30-May-16 15:20:48

It pissed it down on my wedding day (not all day, it was showery but intense rain) and it did make my heart sink a little to see the heavens open but I wouldn't say it really ruined anything (except my white suede heels!). Sure I would have preferred it not to rain but this is the uk we live in ! (presuming poster is based in uk). I was that busy with other things i didn't really think too much about it. I suppose it made getting some outside shots a bit harder but we managed.

I think I may have jinxed the day by having marvin gaye's Sunny as our first dance tune, should have gone for Umbrella by Rihanna or something instead!

Glovebug Mon 30-May-16 15:23:40

DH used to drive wedding cars and was equipped with a white umbrella. He would hold umbrella over bride and hold up dress or bridesmaids/father of bride would hold dress. We had thunderstorms and rain forecast here a week or so ago on one particular day and they never materialised

Nyancat Mon 30-May-16 15:35:45

We got married on a day with torrential rain and my favourite photo of me is getting from the car to the church, massive skirt hoiked up, driver with a huge golf umbrella, with all of us, myself, driver and my bridesmaids killing ourselves laughing.

PotteringAlong Mon 30-May-16 15:40:16

Rained all day at mine too. We'd got big golf umbrellas in marching colours in case it rained. They were all used by guests and I had a portacabin one!

eternalopt Mon 30-May-16 15:48:08

Was it your wedding or were you just a guest?

Randomposter Mon 30-May-16 22:28:23

Hi,

Oh no it wasn't my wedding, just a close family member. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now