Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Homemade wedding bouquet?

(14 Posts)
Eminybob Sat 09-Apr-16 06:28:53

Has anyone made their own wedding bouquet or is planning to?

We are having a very low budget, low key wedding and I don't fancy spending £££ on flowers so am thinking of doing them myself.
I've seen some tutorials on line. I don't do a lot of arts and crafts but am quite artistic, and I did once make a fresh flower fairy crown type thing which turned out really well.
Or am I just kidding myself and it'll turn out to be a disaster?

Any help/tips appreciated

MrsCaecilius Mon 11-Apr-16 09:49:18

I'm planning to so placemarking here. Only my bouquet and 1 bridesmaid and planning on keeping it v simple. I will do a trial run before have though!

Tuiles Mon 11-Apr-16 09:55:59

I did, using some YouTube tutorials. One with brooches. Though to be honest once I'd bought all the materials and some extra brooches (charity shops mainly) it was no cheaper than getting my local florist to put a bunch together. I thought it would be nice to keep as a memento, but now I don't know how to keep it nicely so it doesn't tarnish. Is become a bit of a burden, even though I loved it at the time. To be honest I kind of wish I'd just gone with flowers, taken a few arty photos and keep the memories!

I think I'll probably end up dismantling it and trying to display the brooches in one of those deep display frames.

greenflame Mon 11-Apr-16 10:05:15

I did my own with some flowers from Lidl (they have amazing flowers). Need a bit of florists' tape and some ribbon, but it was really easy and pretty. Bought lots of flowers and there were lots left over for vases and boutonnieres. But I will say that in general a lot of this DIY wedding stuff is a pain in the arse and sometimes it is easier to just pay someone else to do the necessary. Do check out Lidl though- in season they have peonies which look beautiful.

Eminybob Mon 11-Apr-16 12:07:44

Thank you.

I have actually ordered a silk bouquet now, but God only knows what's it'll look like. If it's dead tacky I'll revert to the making my own idea.

JeffersonCrisp Mon 11-Apr-16 12:28:36

I made my own a few years ago - flowers from hobbycraft, white ribbon, elephant grass and beads from ebay. All less than £10

Not to everyone's taste but its exactly what I wanted

Scoopmuckdizzy Mon 11-Apr-16 12:38:40

I made my own bouquet with supermarket flowers - yellow roses and gypsophila and lace ribbon. It looked homemade but it was in the style of our overall wedding so it was fine for me

maggiethemagpie Mon 11-Apr-16 18:42:38

I thought of doing this as I was quoted £100 minimum for a bouquet from the florist, but managed to negotiate another florist down to £50 as I said I wasnt' too fussed on the flowers so they can get a good deal at the market. They're going to do fancy things like spray leaves silver and put sparkly things in which I couldn't do myself so worth it for me to pay a bit extra than doing it myself.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 11-Apr-16 18:51:51

I did all the flowers at my wedding - ordered in bulk online and did table centres, two big stands and some random vases too, it was really fun! Online tutorials made it so simple.

wheresthel1ght Wed 13-Apr-16 21:22:34

I used silk flowers from Dunelm Mill and created a lovely bouquet.

A friend of mine dos a button bouquet. I think she used Pinterest and YouTube for guidance

gonegrey56 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:34:56

Look at the websites of some florists for colour mixes inspiration , eg Rebel Rebel and others . Lots of ideas !

momb Wed 20-Apr-16 11:43:55

We grew our own flowers and I did the bouquets. It was all very rustic (fortunately this went well with our inelegant barn wedding) as the gypsophilia and cornflowers were all twisty but I had fun doing it and the whole lot including the tape and twine and wrist corsage bracelet cost less than £6 for five bouquets, 2 corsages, 2 buttonholes and a couple of table decs.
...when I say I had fun doing it, I remember enjoying it slightly less at 1am on my wedding day trying to wrap twine round the stems of tiny buttonholes so they could go in the fridge.

NoCakeLeft Sun 01-May-16 11:17:56

I want to make my own out of phalaenopsis orchids and roses. If I won't be able to get orchids for less than £20 online, I'll just go to Ikea and get couple of plants and use the stems of them and buy roses from Asda or Lidl.
The only problem I have is the greenery, but it can probably be bought from a florist, so will see. In the worst case scenario, I will just use some branches of my lemon tree, which is long overdue a trim.
It's scary though. I keep worrying that they won't stay put in the foam holder or will wilt before the end of the day.

Anna275 Mon 23-May-16 18:49:16

Try ordering flowers from a grocery store/CostCo or a flower farm. Some farms even do Pick Your Own wedding flower packages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now