Talk

Advanced search

How much money to give as wedding present?

(10 Posts)
FredaMayor Sat 06-Feb-16 16:41:10

We have accepted an invitation to the wedding and reception of a man DH has known some years and is a mentor figure to in their special interest group. We have only met Btb once and I have only met Gtb twice. They have requested money in place of presents or a wedding list. Btf and gtb have lived together for some time and are in mid 30s, no children.

I have no idea how to work out what a suitable amount would be to give as a present. They intend putting the money towards their honeymoon. I think there will be more than 100 guests attending. What do you suggest?

TurnOffTheTv Sat 06-Feb-16 16:42:06

I normally give £50. £100 for family.

AbolishFlobots Sat 06-Feb-16 16:46:03

I normally do £30 for a wedding with a bottle of Aldi champagne too which is £10. Alternatively, scrap money and find something nice. We didn't ask for anything for our wedding, had a lot of money and a lovely Emma Bridgwater teapot and mugs. It was unique and a very "us" type of present.

lanbro Sat 06-Feb-16 16:56:15

I would normally do £50 when invited to the whole shebang

Terriertwo Sat 06-Feb-16 16:57:55

£50 per person attending is pretty standard I think

dementedpixie Sat 06-Feb-16 17:01:05

£30-£50 would be plenty

FredaMayor Sat 06-Feb-16 17:12:08

Thanks everyone. <pops out for Aldi champagne for self>

BackforGood Sat 06-Feb-16 17:26:36

Sometimes when you have been invited as a group (from this hobby, or a team, or sometimes a a colleague) then someone organises a collection, so it's less obvious if you give a little less than some MNers suggest. Obviously it is going to depend hugely on your personal circumstances.

maggiethemagpie Mon 08-Feb-16 20:28:45

I think £50 is plenty. That's for the whole day. If it's just the evening I usually get something like a pair of salad hands.

expatinscotland Mon 08-Feb-16 20:30:48

£50 for whole day wedding. Evening do = bottle of bubbly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now