Advanced search

getting married in a hurry when one of you may be terminally ill

(12 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Sat 28-Nov-15 15:35:01

I'm asking for a friend who has just found out her partner has to undergo brain surgery - possibly in the next few days - to remove a tumour.

They want to get married for several reasons, preferably before the surgery. They have 2 young kids.

Does anyone know if you can get get an 'emergency' licence to by=pass the 28 day notice period? what is the process? they're in London


Orange1969 Sat 28-Nov-15 15:41:16

How sad and worrying.

Might be worth her talking to chaplain of the hospital to see if he/she knows what is possible.

5madthings Sat 28-Nov-15 15:42:03

Oh I have no idea if they can't maybe they could make a will, have her be made next if kin?

Anyway bumping fir you.

I do know/have seen on fb a charity that helps provide weddings for those in this type of situation.

5madthings Sat 28-Nov-15 15:42:43

And yes hospital Chaplin would be good person to speak to.

ivykaty44 Sat 28-Nov-15 15:48:21

gBean Sat 28-Nov-15 15:50:37

Yes you can get a special license. We decided on the Saturday to get married when my Dad was dying and the wedding was all arranged for the following Saturday. Literally organised everything in 7 days including special license.

flipflopson5thavenue Sat 28-Nov-15 15:55:10

gBean - did you just ring your local register office and explain the situation?

WhenDoISleep Sat 28-Nov-15 15:59:52

There is information here and here that may help.

gBean Sat 28-Nov-15 16:05:36

I'm trying to recall, I think I rang local council in the first instance. It was a long time ago now!

5madthings Sat 28-Nov-15 16:08:51

Yes I have heard of the special licenses, makes sense that they have a way of sorting it.

Good luck to your friends, I hope the operation goes as smoothly as possible and their wedding is a perfect special day despite the circumstances xx

Wolpertinger Sat 28-Nov-15 16:10:14

You can do this in one of two ways - either speak to registrar and get the next available booking.

Or you can get what is called a 'death bed' ceremony. This is done by presenting the registrar with a letter from a doctor stating that one party is terminal ill and not expected to get well enough to move to a place where weddings are normally carried out.

They are usually organized via the hospital palliative care team. Whatever you do, don't decide to get a special licence from the bishop for a C of E wedding as it takes bloody ages.

My record is getting someone married within 2 hours of phone call to registrar. Patient died later the same night - she'd told me she just wanted to die married to her partner.

anorakgirl Sat 28-Nov-15 16:14:23 (sorry can't do links) are an organisation that could help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: