Talk

Advanced search

Wedding "Shoe Game" - opinions/experiences/advice sought!

(10 Posts)
TheRattleBag Sat 17-Oct-15 00:24:09

So, some friends are getting married soon.

I've been asked to organise the questions so that they can play the shoe game at the reception (wedding is in a hotel if that makes any difference).

I'd never heard of this, so out came google:

"Never heard of it? Here’s how it works: During your reception, after you’ve enjoyed some dinner, dancing, and drinks, place two chairs back-to-back on the dance floor for the bride and groom. Remove both of your shoes, then trade a shoe with your new spouse so that you’re holding one of each. Then, have a designated person ask a series of questions about the two of you and your relationship (i.e.. “Who will be doing most of the cooking?” "Who said 'I love you' first?"). After each question, hold up the shoe of the person you think is the best answer to the question.
Sometimes there will be disagreements; questions like, 'Who is the better dresser?' or, 'Who is the better kisser?' The fun part about it is that you can't see what the other person is answering, so many times there is so much laughter and, as the bride, you aren't sure if he answered the same as you or the opposite!"

(From here: www.bridalguide.com/blogs/bridal-buzz/the-shoe-game)

I've read a few descriptions, and all seem to suggest that this will provoke gales of laughter, a common phrase being "hilarity ensues!"

But I just can't see it. Am I missing something?

How can I make sure this isn't a damp squib and hilarity really does ensue? Obviously I'm trying to tailor the questions to them which should help. Also trying to think of a way to involve the rest of the guests, but short of asking them to suggestion (clean!) questions, I'm a bit stumped.

Has anyone had this at their own wedding? Or seen it done at one? Was it really hilarious?

I'd welcome any advice!

Thanks smile

TigerFeat Sat 17-Oct-15 00:28:29

Sounds a bit like Mr & Mrs but with shoes. Not sure I'd want to hold a dusty sweaty shoe anywhere near my lovely white wedding dress.

I have only been to one wedding where there were some games like this. It was very tedious, although the B&G seemed to enjoy it, and I can't even remember what the games where now.

FeelsLikeHome123 Sat 17-Oct-15 00:33:44

Sounds a bit like the section from all star Mr & Mrs TV show. I'd imagine it's funny depending on the questions asked/answers given and depends on how sensitive couple are

80sMum Sat 17-Oct-15 00:51:16

I would think you'd need to know the couple well and tailor the questions to fit. But if everyone's had a few drinks, they'll probably laugh at anything!

TheRattleBag Sat 17-Oct-15 00:51:38

Tiger - that's what I'm worried about, that it will get really boring and people will lose interest.

Feels - I haven't seen Mr & Mrs, maybe I'll have a squizz on youtube. Guess there's pressure on me now to think of some hilarious questions!

Thanks smile

TheRattleBag Sat 17-Oct-15 08:15:41

80sMums Yeah, that's probably a good plan. Get them a bit squiffy first!

Thanks smile

hilbil21 Sat 17-Oct-15 08:17:20

Are you in the UK? I think this is quite an American thing and they have such a different sense of humour to us lol !! X

43percentburnt Sat 17-Oct-15 08:33:25

Ah this was sprung on us by the best man! Fortunately neither of us are sensitive and made everyone chuckle! 'Who takes longer to do their hair' dh of course!

I would never have chosen it, but it made us all laugh - took about 5 mins and was the only game played. However our wedding wasn't a traditional white wedding, it was very formal but had a theme!

gabsdot45 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:54:35

My sister and her hubby played this game at their wedding. It was funny.

TheRattleBag Sat 17-Oct-15 21:36:11

Hilbil Yes, we're in the UK.

43percent/gabsdot Thank you for showing me that it can be funny! I feel a bit better about it now.

I think I'm going to wait until they're all well lubricated (oo-er missus), personalise the questions, get some other guests to suggest/ask their own questions, and keep it short.

And that should do the trick!

Thanks all for your assistance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now