Talk

Advanced search

Can my son walk me down the aisle?

(28 Posts)
Mumstudentbum Mon 03-Aug-15 19:07:07

Me and DP will have been together 16 years when we plan to get married next year. Our two dds (6 and 9) will be my bridesmaids along with my sister.

We also have a 14 year old son who I want to include in the big day. Me and DP discussed him being best man but dp wants his lifelong friend to do it and suggested he walk me down the aisle instead. I don't have a great relationship with my dad and to be honest I can't think of anything more awkward for both of us than him doing it. We are not going for traditional anyway and I feel it would be a great way to include DS.

Would this be ok? Am I setting myself up for people to talk and think it's odd? Wwyd?

CordeliaFoxx Mon 03-Aug-15 19:09:28

I think it's a lovely idea, go for it.

Sarahplane Mon 03-Aug-15 19:09:56

I think that's a lovely idea.

QforCucumber Mon 03-Aug-15 19:10:22

I think it's fine, my brother will walk my down the aisle when I get married. If anyone queries it then in my opinion they wouldn't know my situation well enough to be at the ceremony

FenellaFellorick Mon 03-Aug-15 19:11:41

It's your party, do whatever makes you and your partner happy. The whole father giving the bride away thing is really not that important. Do it your way. It doesn't matter if other people think it's odd, it's your party not theirs. They'll be fine and have fun if you were being given away by your dad, your son or the easter bunny grin

NotReallyAPrincess Mon 03-Aug-15 19:11:59

I think it's lovely smile

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 03-Aug-15 19:12:04

My friend got married last year and got her 10 year old son to walk her down the aisle it was beautiful!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 03-Aug-15 19:13:27

I've seen brothers, uncles, best friends, sons, mums, godmothers all walk down the aisle - go for it!

Bostonpj Mon 03-Aug-15 19:13:55

My son walked me down the aisle and it was perfect. A great way of involving him in the ceremony and bringing us all together as a family. Definitely do it!

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 19:17:05

Och thats lovely smile my friends son did it he was 15 it was very moving

WeAreEternal Mon 03-Aug-15 19:17:31

A friend of mine was married last year, like you she didn't have a great relationship with her father so she walked down the aisle with her 9yr old DS who then 'gave her away' (it was very sweet).

I think it is a lovely idea.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 03-Aug-15 19:18:37

My four year old walked me and my partner down the aisle together when we got married. Who says you have to be traditional? grin

BusyCee Mon 03-Aug-15 19:22:37

Blue - are you me? My 4yo old walked down the aisle with me too. 2yo DS gave us the rings (with help from the best man!). The day was about us being a family, and as I'm pushing 40 it felt more odd for someone to 'give me away' (and an outdated notion).

Congratulations and have a wonderful day together

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 19:22:55

Aww blue <melt>

Heathcliff27 Mon 03-Aug-15 19:29:06

Go for it, my son gave me away, he was also 14 at the time. It was lovely, and a nice way of including him especially as my DH isn't his dad ( not biologically anyway but much more of a father but thats for another thread )

hesterton Mon 03-Aug-15 19:30:14

My daughter gave me away! It was lovely.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 03-Aug-15 19:30:49

I think it's a smashing idea. In fact, it's made me well up a bit!

muddledsheep Mon 03-Aug-15 19:34:09

My two sons walked me down the aisle and gave me away. It was perfect!

BertrandRussell Mon 03-Aug-15 19:34:33

Charlotte Bronte was walked down the aisle by her headmistress!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 03-Aug-15 19:37:05

Bit - me too!

It will be so lovely for you both, and your DS will feel truly honoured!
flowers

Ahemily Mon 03-Aug-15 19:43:06

My brother gave my stepmum away and it was beautiful - not a dry eye in the house though! Congratulations thanks

BitOutOfPractice Mon 03-Aug-15 19:45:24

I had lost my dad 6 months before I got married and my very wonderful BiL gave me away (I don't have a son or brother) and it was such a lovely and special moment between us. In fact I'm having a little moment thinking about it now

Have a wonderful day OP thanks

BestIsWest Mon 03-Aug-15 19:53:03

It sounds a lovely idea. I seem to have something wet in my eye.

CPtart Mon 03-Aug-15 20:06:09

I lost my dad several years ago. When I got married my brother walked me down the aisle, my DM stood at the alter and "gave me away" ( it meant a lot to her) and my grandad did the speech at the reception.

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 20:13:25

Oh this thread <sniff>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now