Talk

Advanced search

sausage and mash for wedding breakfast?

(28 Posts)
dollydaydreamers Fri 24-Jul-15 12:43:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RepeatAdNauseum Fri 24-Jul-15 12:49:18

I like sausage and mash, but I don't know how I'd fare with gravy in a posh dress. It also might be a bit bloating? I know a lot of people who avoid potato because it makes them lethargic. Not me, though.

Hmm. I can see why you are considering it!

As a veggie, I'd say no. Also, mash goes cold so quickly that I don't imagine it would be easy to serve it to lots of people at once, without some of them getting it lukewarm at best.

MaybeDoctor Fri 24-Jul-15 12:52:54

I think this would be a bad idea unless it was a very refined version. If I dress up for a wedding I just would not feel like eating that, sorry.

Wishful80sMontage Fri 24-Jul-15 12:53:44

My oh would love it smile

If it was served buffet style, in chafing dishes so it stayed hot, I think that would solve the problem that Remus mentions.

You could have a variety of different sausages - including some veggie ones - and different sorts of mash and sauces/gravy to go with.

We once went to a pub in Yorkshire that did this - they had lots of different sausages, types of mash (with mustard, with garlic, containing sweet potato or celeriac etc), and different sauces - onion gravy, tomato, BBQ etc - and you did a mix and match - it was a lovely meal.

Ottosaurus Fri 24-Jul-15 12:57:04

We did this, vegetarians had veggy sausages. It was a big hit! Our guests all loved it x

sooperdooper Fri 24-Jul-15 12:58:18

Yep, gets my vote - I'd much rather have sausage and mash than what usually gets served at weddings - unimaginative chicken in some kind of unidentifiable sauce!

You can have veggie sausages & you could go the whole hog on the traditional British dinner and have apple pie & custard or rhubarb crumble & ice cream for desert, I'd be v happy if someone served me that at a wedding smile

AndNowItsSeven Fri 24-Jul-15 12:59:25

Yes, sounds perfect.

dollydaydreamers Fri 24-Jul-15 13:00:14

GoooRooo Fri 24-Jul-15 13:01:10

I vote for pork!

dollydaydreamers Fri 24-Jul-15 13:02:29

happygirl87 Fri 24-Jul-15 13:04:10

I REALLY wanted this, but DH had his heart set on hog roast for the eve, and my DM said we couldn't serve pork twice. Please do it!

ChrisQuean Fri 24-Jul-15 13:07:50

Yummy. Not Walls flaccid pink things though - good butchers sausages and onion gravy. Didn't Kate Winslet earn tabloid notoriety for serving sausage and mash at her first wedding?

SaulGood Fri 24-Jul-15 13:09:37

I've been to a wedding which did this and also one with fish and chips but with quite fancy options. Absolutely brilliant both times.

We had a hog roast with jacket potatoes, salads, breads etc. Then apple crumble and custard. Evening buffet was cold meat, breads, cheese and pickles.

sooperdooper Fri 24-Jul-15 13:10:57

I reckon go for it and ask them

I agree on the menu choices they've given you, a lot of people don't like fish, chicken in a mushroom sauce is exactly the kind of thing I meant as a standard/dull wedding meal & I wouldn't fancy roast pork tbh

TurnOverTheTv Fri 24-Jul-15 13:14:22

We had a winter wedding, sausage and mash, then sticky toffee pudding. Clear plates all round, everyone loved it!

Glitteryfrog Fri 24-Jul-15 15:30:28

Yes.
I've been to a wedding which did this. It was yummy.
How about some sort of beef stew with mash and a pastry slice?

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Fri 24-Jul-15 16:02:57

We had this for our wedding grin
We had three different kinds of sausages (including a venison one), and three kinds of mash, with a couple of gravy options. There was also a veggie sausage option.
It was served out of chafing dishes (everyone queued up) and people sat at tables to eat. Went down really well (people still remark on it over 10yrs later), people were going up for thirds and there wasn't a scrap left over, despite the caterer over-catering.
We had a winter wedding, so it was a good hearty & warming meal, and it was also a really cost-effective way of being able to invite a lot of people to the reception - we had 190 iirc! All this was in quite a posh central London venue.

SaulGood Fri 24-Jul-15 16:12:29

Remember too, it's your wedding. Ignore people who are expecting their version of wedding food. If they want lightly seared donkey on a bed of grass cuttings then they can go to a restaurant on another day.

I actually struggled with some of the aspects of getting married in terms of the putting on a show, being the centre of attention etc. Having good, hearty food which I loved and found comforting was actually really helpful in making me feel like it wasn't a big uncomfortable hoopla where the look of the food and all this jus, confit crap got in the way of just tucking into something really satisfying. I took my favourite, chunky mug with me too and had a lovely cup of tea after the meal in my mug.

I love a really nice, posh meal btw and will happily go out for some overpriced nonsense with lots of over-description but it's not really what I wanted on my wedding day. Weddings are a bit of a minefield. Guests feel a bit buttoned up in their new clothes and heels that rub, people don't know each other, there's a lot of mingling and awkward photos. I liked that our wedding meal represented what we were trying to achieve and that was a party with nice, everyday food. It was a great leveller iyswim.

I've had way too much bland chicken in a grey sauce and "seasonal veg" at weddings. It's rarely done well on the kind of wedding budget people have. I went to an amazing hoopla of a wedding in a castle once and they'd spend upwards of 100k. In that case, the food was exceptional but it cost a fooking fortune (and I still would have preferred bangers and mash grin).

derxa Fri 24-Jul-15 16:15:27

YABU Remember Kate Winslet

Marmite15 Sat 25-Jul-15 11:56:29

Do whatever makes you happy - if I was a guest at a wedding, I would love sausages and mash and it'll help those who have had a few too many pre-dinner glasses of fizz sober up.

Some lovely local sausages (maybe even find a local supplier who could make flavours specifically to your taste) with a really wonderful mash and onion gravy can be done really nicely if you want it to look a bit more polished.

Just make sure you are firm with your venue - some can try to strong arm you into having something you don't really want because it's easier for them. Also, don't let them charge the earth for it either - another ploy by them to try and make you take the easier "set menu" path. Don't be afraid to be firm - it' sometimes easier to enlist the help of 3rd party or friend to have the conversation if need be as they aren't as emotionally engaged in the deal and so may be able to negotiate a bit more firmly.

I say go for it

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 25-Jul-15 12:03:50

We went to a wedding where they served bangers and mash - lovely proper butcher' sausages - and it was a huge hit.

They got round the issue of it going cold by bringing it all out to the table in heated serving dishes. Then each table had a nominated server who got a personalised pinny to wear - great ice breaker as well as meaning the food was hot.

Just make sure you have mustard. English and Dijon please. None of that wholegrain crap. wink

Marcipex Sat 25-Jul-15 12:11:33

Lovely.
Pork sausages and a veggie version.
Onion gravy, mustard, apple sauce .

AlmaMartyr Sat 25-Jul-15 12:19:09

We did this and was lovely. The venue made their own sausages from their own livestock, and their own (delicious) veggie sausages. It was all very much the luxury' version and was a huge hit. All got eaten and lots of compliments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now