Talk

Advanced search

How much for dress alterations?

(6 Posts)
Serg Mon 20-Jul-15 10:19:28

Our wedding is in March, I've seen some amazing shoes:

http://www.nonnon.co.uk/vivienne-westwood/vw-classic-heel-red-heart.html

And thought they would look nice with this dress, but I'd want to get the neckline altered so it's a much deeper V neck, and thinner on the shoulders. How much (roughly!) are alterations, if £100's I'd just look for another dress!

http://www.lindybop.co.uk/dresses-c1/sally-may-cream-lace-swing-dress-p1646

I'm then going to get an ivory petticoat and a sparkley belt from eBay, and have a red rose on my hair.

I'm hoping this will all look good together!

Cocoaone Thu 23-Jul-15 07:04:30

I don't really know, but I'm paying £55 to have a bustle hook added and boob-pads added to mine, so not major alterations. My friend paid about £150 to get her fitted wedding dress taken in around the waist.

I'd suggest taking it to a normal dress maker and not mentioning that it's for your wedding! But I would guess that you're looking at at least £50

StrangeGlue Thu 23-Jul-15 20:13:06

I paid £150 just to have it taken up and bustle button put in. But I was tied into where to have the dress altered as I got it v v v reduced at a wedding dress sale and all alterations were one flat price so v uncompetitive!

Spickle Sun 26-Jul-15 10:10:07

Your local bridal shop may be able to recommend some seamstresses for you.

I recently got married and paid £280 for alterations to the length, the bustier pulled in, the bolero pulled in and a bustle button added. However, the shop's seamstress was too busy to do the bridesmaid's alterations so the shop gave me a list of local seamstresses who charged £25 to take up the hem on one dress and £30 to take in shoulders and armholes on another dress.

Your dress (which is lovely btw) doesn't look too bridal so if I were you, I wouldn't mention that it's your wedding dress at all, then the cost will be a lot cheaper, especially if it's done by a home-based seamstress rather than a shop-employed seamstress.

mrssmith79 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:27:14

The mention of the 'W' word always bumps prices up by ridiculous amounts, use a local seamstress, try Facebook or, if you're near a uni, ask around for fashion / textile students looking to make a quick bit of cash.

mrssmith79 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:27:35

Stunning outfit by the way grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now