Talk

Advanced search

How do you sign the register?

(8 Posts)
WhyStannisWhy Thu 16-Jul-15 22:47:40

Maiden name or married name?

The consensus seems to be split online and it's something I was wondering.

lilywhite32 Thu 16-Jul-15 22:55:03

In Ireland you sign your maiden name as the registration form is printed before the wedding day itself and has your maiden name printed on it.

mayaknew Thu 16-Jul-15 22:56:18

Maiden in Scotland too . Whoever is marrying you should tell you this at your rehearsal . smile

goingwildforcrayons Thu 16-Jul-15 23:01:17

Maiden name, as you are entering into the marriage as maiden. You then become (if you so choose - before the bashers have a go) Mrs whatjamacallit.

So you don't have to practice a new signature in advance smile

Fairygoodfather Fri 17-Jul-15 00:12:16

With a pen, usually, so you can't go mad for crayons on this one The registratra usually has one ready for you. Ask them before hand, I've not heard of a time one wasn't on hand, but in case it's part of your photo story, check its not a bic Biro. Legally it should be in black indellible ink, so it cannot be removed, erased or fade.

Sinkingfeeling Fri 17-Jul-15 00:20:49

Maiden name - the name you're using when you come to the marriage. Whether or not you change your name after marriage is entirely up to you (I'm a registrar in England).

Spickle Fri 17-Jul-15 11:10:27

I got married recently in London, definitely name you currently have and are officially known by (am a widow so not my maiden name).

WhyStannisWhy Fri 17-Jul-15 23:27:43

Aww Fairy I was hoping to use a felt tip wink

Thanks for the answers, my curiosity is satisfied. For what it's worth, we're both double-barrelling before we have attack of the Maiden Name Protectors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now