Devon budget wedding

(6 Posts)
OneStepOneStumble Fri 12-Jun-15 10:21:33

DP and I are on a tiddly budget but would like to get married in Devon where both of our families are from. Obviously traditional venues are very costly! We're doing a humanist ceremony (so will have to be "officially" married in a registry office with just a couple of witnesses) and can therefore have the real ceremony in front of friends/family absolutely ANYWHERE. Would like to have nice photos but really not bothered where as we're prepared to DIY and make it our own.

Simply need a pretty place to have a ceremony and somewhere large enough for around 90 people for a reception. We've been looking for converted barns or pretty village halls but not coming up with much. Wondering if anyone had any "think outside the box" ideas or recommendations?

VelvetRose Mon 15-Jun-15 22:16:32

I don't know Devon at all op sorry but just wanted to at that we had our reception in a village hall when we had our civil partnership ceremony 10 years ago, it was brilliant. It was cheap, spacious, had a bar and all the usual facilities you'd hope for. A friend took photos, my parents made the cake, myself and friends decorated the venue with brightly coloured flowers and balloons. A friend (who is a caterer) did a fantastic buffet. I think the whole thing came to well under £2,000. I was reading about a really lovely DIY wedding on a blog the other day. I'll try to find it for you and post a link, lots of great ideas.

ems1910 Fri 19-Jun-15 00:18:59

Which part of Devon? I am in Plymouth so can think of places around here but wouldn't have a clue on North Devon or nearer to Exeter smile

DaftVader36 Sun 28-Jun-15 11:06:22

Village hall, 5 minutes outside Ottery St Mary, which has a fab internal marquee that they put up for wedding etc. playground for kids right outside, large car park, pretty garden for photos , v reasonable fees...

See photos here...

www.devonvillagehalls.co.uk/edHalls/ViewPhotos.aspx?PageName=WestHill

OneStepOneStumble Wed 01-Jul-15 15:46:42

Thank you so much for the comments - we are nearer to Plymouth anyway Ems

We are definitely planning on DIYing most of it and asking friends family for favours to cut costs!

Will have a look at the link DaftVader - sounds lovely.

CharlotteWinton Sun 19-Jul-15 08:55:36

I hope you are now sorted but we were recently looking for a photographer and in our search found this great local wedding directory for the Devon and Cornwall area.

www.weddingsouthwest.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now