Talk

Advanced search

wedding on a shoestring

(41 Posts)
FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 10:49:14

Hi all,

DP and I are getting married this year and trying to keep things super cheap and simple. We're getting married at our local church so it's cheaper than normal as the vicar isn't charging us his fee plus we get the church hall free. We're then going to the local sports and social club for the evening do with a cold buffet that we / our family are doing. My dress was from eBay for about £70 including delivery and is lovely. Bridesmaids dresses are also off eBay - costing £90 for the two. We're not staying in a hotel as tbh we'd rather just go home and we're not having expensive transport - Dad will be driving me to the ceremony, we still need to sort out a lift to the reception but we'll be getting a taxi home in the evening.

One thing I do need help with doing cheap is the wedding cake. I'm no good at baking so can't do it myself but we don't want to spend hundreds on a cake. Has anyone got any ideas how we can do that cheaply?

Any other tips for a wedding on a shoestring is much appreciated smile

SofaSpud Tue 06-Jan-15 13:56:53

Hi FL
I'm also aiming for shoestring. Have you looked at M & S cakes? Not just the wedding ones some of the celebration ones are pretty ( and much cheaper). You could fancy it up with a topper?
I was going to do that and personally would have been happy with it but my dd's didn't think they were impressive enough.
In the end I've found a local seller on Facebook business pages with good reviews who's doing me a two tier choc cake adorned with choc roses for £50.
What are you doing about flowers? I've bought oasis bouquet holders and will do them myself but a bit nervous about that shock

SofaSpud Tue 06-Jan-15 14:01:32

FLG sorry!

Chavaloy Tue 06-Jan-15 14:26:35

Cupcake stand with loads of homemade cupcakes?

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 15:33:56

Thanks SofaSpud I've looked at the M & S wedding cakes but haven't seen the celebration ones. I'll have to check them out!

Chavaloy I really can't bake at all tbh so even homemade cupcakes are out.

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 18:48:49

Oops sorry forgot to reply about flowers. I was just going to buy a nice bunch from the supermarket the day before - I'm not that fussed tbh. They've had some really nice ones in lately and have nice ones all year round.

PetrificusTotalus Tue 06-Jan-15 18:49:07

Our shoestring is:

Registry office, immediate family only followed by picnic lunch.
I will buy a nice dress, he will buy a new suit - both outfits will be suitable to be worn at other occasions.
Meet at the pub a few days later for any well wishers (they buy their own food and drink)

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 18:53:08

I got a M&S cake and then my florist (friend of mums) decorated it with fresh flowers matching my bouquet, was lovely.

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 18:55:23

petrificus that sounds brilliant! I wish we'd stuck with our original plan of church hall followed by pub with people buying their own meal but I got over excited after my sister's wedding last year and saw how quickly the day went by even though they had evening do so we booked evening reception. The only reason we're getting married in a church is because of our faith, otherwise we'd definitely go for registry office as it's so much cheaper! What are you doing about photos? I hate the fact ours is costing £400 but the only good photographer we know is DP's dad and although he's offered, we want him to enjoy the day and be in the actual photos rather than behind the camera.

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 18:56:22

wonderstuff are they any good? I've heard they're really small and you have to buy much bigger than the portions on the website suggest.

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 18:58:33

Ask around, and see if any of your friends/aunties/friend of friend would bake you a cake and plain ice it for the cost of ingredients or if close enough instead of buying you a present.

I love baking, and would gladly do this if someone only wanted a fairly plain cake (fancy stuff takes longer, and I'd worry that they wanted a professional cake for free iyswim). One big cake is much easier than cupcakes in terms of time

PetrificusTotalus Tue 06-Jan-15 18:58:36

Photographer - not sure yet. Might not even bother, just ask family to take some pictures after and keep nice candid shots from meal.

WestEast Tue 06-Jan-15 18:59:43

Have you got a friend who's a decent baker? I made my friends wedding cake as a present, another friend chipped in on the cost of ingredients (about £70 in total) as her gift.

wheresthelight Tue 06-Jan-15 19:00:28

can a friend do it?

failing that look at m&s or supermarkets as they do some really nice plain white cakes and then just get an extra button hole or have a mooch on hobbycraft for cake toppers (or ebay)

MaelstromOfLunacy Tue 06-Jan-15 19:01:15

Most supermarkets do plain white iced sponges, maybe decorate with a bit of ribbon and some fake flowers? I made ours, looked like a bunch of five year olds had done it but me, dh and the best men had the most hilarious afternoon decorating it. Mil took photos of us all having fun without us knowing, printed them off and put them on the cake table on the day - it was lovely smile

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 19:04:37

Well it was some time ago, celebrating 14 years this year, no one complained, it looked nice, although I can't comment on taste as it was all gone before I got a look in!

I had 3 and was planning to tier them, but didn't realise you needed dowels to do this, they got balanced on glasses.

Cheap weddings are the best IMO. It has to be more personal, and people love helping. My friend recently did hers, she and some friends made her flowers out of paper, so cute.

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 06-Jan-15 19:05:27

I know the supermarkets around by me do white birthday cakes but all the ones I've seen have balloons or something on them. Do you think it's possible to just peel off the ballon / other decorations as they're just icing and put fake flowers on the top? Hadn't thought of button holes, that's a fab idea!

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 19:06:59

www.marksandspencer.com/traditional-wedding-cake/p/ds458689?mfPartNumber=00559416&carousel=FUNV_RR

Newshoesplease Tue 06-Jan-15 19:12:01

We stacked up the m&s cakes, and additionally bought a "cutting cake" to bulk up the amount! Was delicious.

SugarPlumTree Tue 06-Jan-15 19:20:24

What about approaching the local college/ Sixth form and seeing if a Photography student will take pictures for you ?

Nel1975 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:23:58

Another one who did the m&s cake. Just plain white and put a ribbon round which matched our colour theme. We got a family friend (who wasn't attending wedding) to take pictures. I think if you don't want to have an "official" photographer you need to give a friend a list of pictures you really want on the day so you don't miss any. We made up our own albums using a selection of pictures taken by various people and they only cost £20.
Other budget idea - chocolate hearts for favours (bought from tesco half price after valentines day!)

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 19:25:26

The only thing we didn't do which I wish we had was film it, DH moved everyone to tears with his speech, but no one can remember what he said!

springlamb Tue 06-Jan-15 19:29:56

Another shout for M & S.
I did my sister a fabulous silver wedding anniversary cake using their square cakes. I visited a cake decorating shop and bought the tier stands there ( they came with instructions) and some decorations/ribbons and did a two tier cake (with an extra cutting block). I think I ordered a 12 inch and an 8 inch.
It was really good. She cried when she saw it.

WastingMyYoungYears Tue 06-Jan-15 19:30:55

We had an M&S cake too, it was really nice. We got our florist to make a decoration for the top.

wonderstuff Tue 06-Jan-15 19:32:24

Oh just remembered, the friend with the origami flowers did the best catering, she brought a wicker hamper for each table (on eBay, which she resold after) and filled it with picnic stuff bought from Waitrose, a couple of packets of rolls, cheese, pork pies, hams, it was lovely, she added paper plates and disposable cutlery, matched to people's dietary needs. It was lovely and she didn't have to cook.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: