Talk

Advanced search

Ceremony and reception 15 miles apart, would you provide transport?

(11 Posts)
mirai Fri 24-May-13 11:15:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

No. Ours will be that far probably, and we dont. If it was maybe 35 miles or more then perhaps.

doublecakeplease Fri 24-May-13 11:21:17

I would put a coach on tbh - I wouldn't want guests to have the hassle of having to bring cars / sort taxis

But how do they get to the ceremony? Where do they leave their cars?

<baffled>

cogitosum Fri 24-May-13 11:26:43

No we didn't but people would've driven to church anyway as no public transport nearby. We did help people with transport though. Gettingmarried.com has a lift share function that's quite good. People with spaces in their car can register and people who need a lift and you match them.

We also had a minibus for wedding party and had spaces in that. Noone ended up having to get a taxi so I think it all worked!

thestringcheesemassacre Fri 24-May-13 11:27:02

I would put a coach on too. I don't know how to sort the practicalities, but I think there must be some solution.

Where is everyone staying? Near the church or near the venue?

doublecakeplease Fri 24-May-13 11:27:52

Taxi / lift?? I wouldn't take the car to a wedding??

AnythingNotEverything Fri 24-May-13 11:29:26

I would put something in the invite letting people know about the distance, and allowing you (or your ushers) to know who may need help with lifts when and where.

It's polite to anticipate people may need help - some people don't drive or couldn't afford a taxi in between.

Monty27 Fri 24-May-13 11:32:19

Definitely would yes. I wouldn't want my guests laden with the additional costs of transport, and after all, if you want them to have a 'toast' at your wedding you wouldn't want them driving would you?

Maybe if they have to drive it'll save on champagne costs too grin

PeterParkerSays Fri 24-May-13 11:35:22

We didn't, but then for us the ceremony was a drive, and the reception was nearer home for most of the guests so it was in their interests, as it were, to drive to the reception.

MirandaWest Fri 24-May-13 11:46:26

We didn't. I think more people stayed near the reception venue (about 15 miles from the church) and so drove to the church and drove to reception and then drank. I know people did give lifts to others. The receiption was in a town so people didn't need to drive afterwards.

At a wedding a few years ago the reception was a distance away from the church. I think a bus was organised from the reception (so cars left there) which took us to the church and then back to reception. We weren't staying at the reception venue (too expensive) so then had to drive to travelodge afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now