Talk

Advanced search

Ideas wanted please for a TINY registry office wedding

(7 Posts)
pipkin35 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:36:53

I liked the idea of getting married in secret but OH reckons his family would never forgive him. So considering inviting a few but it would be 10 people or less. I want to try and get married on Christmas Eve. Been together over 10 yrs and have 2 kids under 5.

Any ideas on what we could do? I really haven't got any kind of clue.

GlaikitFizzog Mon 05-Sep-11 10:42:28

Could you ask the select few out for a meal, then say surprise, we're getting married and you are all invited? Then go for the meal afterwards. Although that might not work on christmas eve, unless everyone is super organised.

GlaikitFizzog Mon 05-Sep-11 10:43:54

Oh and if you want to do it in secret still do, the whole "will never forgive" line will be forgotten about if you are both happy.

suzikettles Mon 05-Sep-11 11:00:06

My cousin did this. Not sure if it was actually Christmas Eve (although I think it was), but certainly round about then.

It was only immediate family and they went off for a lovely meal after the ceremony. The rest of the family didn't find out until afterwards & we were all delighted for them.

I suppose it was easier in that the "immediate family" on my cousin's side (her sister and brother, their partners and her parents) were gathered in the city for Christmas anyway, and her dh-to-be had a very small immediate family (2 sisters, one with partner) who travelled to be there so that kind of naturally kept the numbers down.

One of my brother's friends got married with just both sets of parents there. They invited them for a meal in a v smart restaurant so that they would want to dress up a bit and then asked them to come to their flat for drinks beforehand - taxi was waiting to take them to the registry office and then they went on to the restaurant as planned. By all accounts it was also a very happy day.

pipkin35 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:33:03

I love the idea of saying 'Come for a meal'...and then 'Surprise!' - but both parents would need to travel over 2 hrs if they wanted to come so that's not really possible...I've just booked the registry office for 11am Christmas Eve...hahahaha, haven't even 'confirmed' with OH yet!

Will plan a meal afterwards I think. Prices will probably be horrendous, though won't be mentioning the 'W' word to anyone when booking!

Not sure how far in advance to tell people, really want to keep it as much of a 'surprise' as possible...

SnakeOnCrack Mon 05-Sep-11 11:45:12

Ah a christmas eve wedding will be lovely! Just imagine, 11am- nice short service and then a long boozy Christmassy lunch with your family and closest friends.. bit of dancing etc before christmas. Lots of holly and mistletoe.. ah lovely! Enjoy!

I would tell your parents but maybe keep it a secret from everyone else? They may guess anyway..

littlemagic Sat 08-Oct-11 16:08:42

Pipkin35 i have just found this thread. How are the wedding plans going??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now