Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to apply for my passport to be changed before I get married?

(9 Posts)
Hammy02 Mon 25-Jul-11 13:05:11

I'm getting married in 7 weeks time but have just realised my passport will be in my maiden name. I've booked the honeymoon in my maiden name. Does it matter?

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Jul-11 13:07:04

No, wait until you get home again to change the names. As long as holiday and passport are both matching you'll be fine.

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Jul-11 13:07:41

And congratulations! Have a lovely day and honeymoon.

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Jul-11 13:08:31

Anyway, you can't change the name until you have a marriage cert!

suzikettles Mon 25-Jul-11 13:09:51

Your passport has to be in the name you're flying under so whatever you do, don't change it now.

You don't have to change your name on marriage if you don't want to so there's no obligation to change your passport at all.

You could do what I did, change your passport before the wedding and book your honeymoon under your maiden name, have to have the flights changed (expensive), change a random couple of other bits of ID when you get back and then lose interest.

I finally got round to changing all my ID to my married name last month. We've been married 7 years...blush

suzikettles Mon 25-Jul-11 13:10:53

You can change the name in advance. You get a slip signed by the person marrying you - I think it can be about 6 weeks before.

But I wouldn't bother if I were you.

catsareevil Mon 25-Jul-11 13:13:27

You dont have to change your name at all - the presumtion is that you will keep your name, its if you want to change it that you have to let people know.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 25-Jul-11 13:14:46

Both are the same so it will be fine.

I got the vicar to write something so I could have my passport changed in advance of the wedding as we booked our honeymoon in my married name.

Hammy02 Mon 25-Jul-11 13:43:19

Thank you for all of your advice. I'm not being particularly well organised. Just got my dress last week! I think I am the anti-bridezilla.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now