Talk

Advanced search

Joint wedding and christening?

(9 Posts)
Embering Wed 20-Jul-11 21:43:46

Anybody done this?
I want to get my DDs (4yo and 3mo) christened at my local church.
I have been thinking it would be lovely to get married at the same time, but dont know if this is ever done?
I think what I want is the focus on the christening but with our marriage as an extra IYSWIM.
I dont even know where to begin, does a church christening/wedding cost a packet? How likely is it to be agreed to? And how quickly would I be able to organise it - am hoping to get it sorted by end of October as my closest friend is emigrating.

redexpat Mon 25-Jul-11 21:28:57

My friend in Norway did this. Bridesmaid was godmother. Worked a charm and friends and family only had to travel for one event (they live a long way up Norway). I think the smaller the wedding the easier it is to arrange quickly. Also depends on where you live, and how supportive your local friends and family are. Good luck!

Paschaelina Mon 25-Jul-11 21:31:50

My brother and his wife got married on the saturday and had their daughter christened in the sunday morning service at the same church, because her family had travelled from abroad.

iggagog Mon 25-Jul-11 21:52:57

By local church, do you mean one you attend? That will probably speed things up compared to if you are not regulars. They are two different services, I don't imagine there is any rule against conflating them but you'd need to ask. Regarding money, it's receptions that cost loads, not ceremonies! IME baptism cost nothing, wedding cost an organist fee and a donation to the church. Denominations will differ of course.

EdithWeston Mon 25-Jul-11 21:57:35

I know someone who did this - they had a brilliant day! it's definitely possible.

I'm afraid I don't know how they went about organising it (and I wasn't there - only saw the pix) so don't know what the running order was. Just that it went well, and it felt right to them as the whole family was blessed IYSWIM.

I think you're best starting point is a chat with the priest at the church where you'd like it done.

Bue Tue 26-Jul-11 11:25:01

Definitely possible, in fact there was some discussion of a new joint service a couple of years ago:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/23/wedding-christening-marriage-baptism-service

OhHelpOhNo Tue 26-Jul-11 11:27:01

Sounds like a lovely idea, I really like the sat/sun idea.

Only way you can find out is by asking your/local church .... my local one would be v happy to do it!

Embering Tue 26-Jul-11 21:11:24

Well folks, since I posted this last week I got my @rse in gear and have got the whole thing booked! I have booked a saturday wedding, and there will be a baptism immediatley after, as part of the proceedings. My DD1 is going to be bridesmaid and then we will all move over to font area.
There was absolutely no problem as far as doing it on the same day, Vicar was very happy to do so.
I am so happy, I think it is going to be a fab day and a little bit extra special to me as my children will be a big part of it.

OhHelpOhNo Tue 26-Jul-11 22:10:23

Wow great news congratulations Embering!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: