Talk

Advanced search

Having a civil ceromany with foreign passport HELP??

(4 Posts)
cookingupababy Mon 18-Jul-11 13:51:15

Hi, i am wondering if anyone can help, i plan to get married next year the venue and registrar have been booked. 1st of Sept 2012

However i know little of what comes next, i know i have to have a meeting with DP and the registration people??

I went to book online and it says you can do it only a year in advance i assume that is true as i can't see why they would lie, but my issue is when i called up to book the registrar i told them that i only had a valid American passport, i can quite easily renew my British passport but i am poor, so they told me that there is a 10 week wait for an appointment as only a few registrars places will sort out other passports, ok fair enough. So i planned to get my British one sorted, but i going online today suggest that even if i get it all sorted there is no point as the license is only valid for a year, they lady on the phone knew that as she had just booked my registrar for that date.

So my question is really when exactly can i book this?

<clueless> smile blush

cookingupababy Mon 18-Jul-11 13:52:12

ceremony blush

wineandcheese Mon 18-Jul-11 15:21:54

As I understand it you can give notice up to 12 months in advance of your wedding and must do so at your local register office.

It sounds like you want to get this sorted asap so if I were you I'd call them up and book their first available appointment in September. Do it on your American passport if you'd rather not fork out for a new British passport. It may mean waiting a bit longer for a slot (we had to wait 3 months!) but you've got plenty of time before your wedding so it's not a problem.

Congrats by the way!

cookingupababy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:02:22

Thank you, i am not in a big hurry, more that i don't want to end up forgetting to do it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now