Talk

Advanced search

Videographer - will i regret not getting one?

(9 Posts)
RueLaChesty Mon 20-Jun-11 15:39:16

Hi, i am cutting costs where I can, having a family friend as a photographer and I wasn't going to bother with the videographer but someone mentioned about the speeches and that DP (or DH by then) will not pay attention to the speeches as he'll be too nervouse for my dads and then too relieved for best mans. so it would be nice to have them. i could ask someone to do it, but do you think i'd regret not having one?

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 15:45:40

No.

JanMorrow Mon 20-Jun-11 16:47:40

I'm not having one, I mean how often am I going to watch it? Hardly ever.. and it's SOOO annoying at other weddings when you get a camera stuck in your face or videoing you dancing or whatever.. nightmare. I'm happy with my decision!

RueLaChesty Mon 20-Jun-11 17:38:57

ok mind made up then and i'm sure my BIL would video the speeches which is all i really want.

Thats another few hundred saved! What else can i cut out smile

raspberrytipple Thu 23-Jun-11 07:19:33

I don't think you need one, it's just another way to extract money from people I think, perhaps ask a friend to record it if you really want something, I don't think I'd want to be filmed though, not sure I'm looking forward to photos either at the mo but I'm sure I'll survive!!

raspberrytipple Thu 23-Jun-11 07:31:40

Oh btw, my experience of planning a wedding has so far been along the lines of the comments your friend made, people always feel the need to encourage you to have something and make lots of suggestions which is fine but they aren't really suggestions, they are things they really think you should do and the get offended when you don't do it :/
I've taken to using the phrase 'oh that would be nice for a posh do, we're just having a party though'. It's more polite than saying 'fuck off and do it at your own weddin then' :D

HelpImTheMOB Thu 23-Jun-11 09:12:48

Sorry, but I think that attitude is appalling.

Maybe if today's brides didn't bore the pants off all and sundry about the minutae of their wedding plans, friends and family would be freed from the obligation to join in and 'suggest' things. What are they supposed to do? Sit there and say 'Wonderful"! Fabulous!' to everything the bride says?

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 23-Jun-11 09:35:03

Well I'm glad you decided to do it. I love my video. We did spend a lit on it but it was much more important to me than the photos. I got married almost 5 years ago and since then my nan, an uncle and auntie, and most devastatingly my dad have all passed away. I had watched it qute a few times but since dad has gone I haven't been able too. I know when I do I will get very upset but I like knowing he's there on the shelf.

I was going to suggest getting a family mber/friend to do it for you. I have done by brothers and dhs brothers and they both love them.

raspberrytipple Thu 23-Jun-11 16:30:19

It's not an appalling attitude. I don't mention my wedding to people outside my closest friends unless they ask about it and even then it's brief. I've also enjoyed having a lot of conversations about various suggestions etc and taken some of them on board, my point is that people can try and impress things on you that you don't want and make you feel bad about it or go on, a lot. If Rue wants her speeches filmed and her BIL can do it then that's perfect for her, it is HER day (not yours MOTB - yes I saw your other thread and had some sympathy but judging what you just posted on this one, no wonder you pissed your daughter and future son in law off). Rue shouldn't feel like she should have to start spending on something she can happily compromise on. I'm guessing things aren't going well with your being involved in your daughters wedding from the bitterness of your post but there's no need to take it out on a comment I made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now