Talk

Advanced search

Help me find this dress...please

(22 Posts)
lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 15:05:00

OK, my daughter is getting married in 4 months time, budget is fairly tight. Have loads sorted out apart from THE DRESS...

So after loads of looking, shopping and trying on various styles we have finally found the dress, however we really need to find it cheaper than what the shop wants for it.

We have decided not to go down the internet order from china route, too risky from all reports.

Have looked on ebay and preloved but no joy, so can anyone help??

The dress is a Mori Lee 'Lottie' 2406 and we are looking for size 16,

Can anyone tell me sites to look on or have the dress to sell, it's currently selling for £900.00 approx but our budget is £500.00

Please don't slate me or her as this is her dream dress and she is compromising on so much already..

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 15:10:05

American company Ask about shipping but quite a bit cheaper

NieuweBuurvrouw Sat 11-Jun-11 15:13:16

Would you order from the US? At least it seems to be the US.

NieuweBuurvrouw Sat 11-Jun-11 15:15:06

do order a size bigger than she needs so it can be altered.

lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 15:31:00

She has tried the 14 on and its ok just a little snug so we are going for a 16, she is also dieting and exercising and has lost a little weight already.

I really don't want to order from anywhere abroad to be honest, have only heard of bad reviews.

Would ideally love to find it so we could view and try on hence poss second hand or in a store. Running out of ideas to google.

Please keep eyes and ears open for me

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 15:31:54

Can you do a Facebook appeal?

lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 15:37:02

Not very good with facebook, how would that work?

scurryfunge Sat 11-Jun-11 15:38:06

I have no ideagrin. I don't do Facebook but it sounds like something that FB could be used for. Someone more au fait might be able to help.

lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 15:41:24

thanks anyway sad

bufforpingtonchick Sat 11-Jun-11 15:57:10

Don't order it from America - taxes will be added at customs making the savings negligible! Experience talking here. Have a look on the YouAndYourWedding forums, it's like MN but for bridezillas, you might find helpful advice on there smile

bufforpingtonchick Sat 11-Jun-11 16:00:14

Also, if she hasn't been to try dresses on, that should definitely be her first port of call! All decent wedding dress shops stock dresses within your budget, and they can look really different in the flesh iyswim. I was convinced I wanted a certain style from my copious online research, but when I started trying dresses on, totally different ones suited me. I saw loads around the £500 mark so don't be despondent smile

lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 16:05:24

Thats the thing though, she has tried on loads and loads of different dresses at various bridal stores, monsoon etc.

It's this dress she has set her heart on. I wish i could just pay full price for it for her i just can't sad, so the mission is to find this dress for around the £500 mark if possible

NieuweBuurvrouw Sat 11-Jun-11 16:17:56

I'd speak to a seamstress and see if she can copy it within budget. Might well be possible.

KeepErLit Sat 11-Jun-11 16:30:32

Would your daughter wear a second hand one? here

bufforpingtonchick Sat 11-Jun-11 16:31:49

I think the best option is to get it copied if your DD has fallen in love with it. Milly Bridal are in China and copy all the dresses by major wedding dress designers, and they have a fantastic reputation amongst the YouAndYourWedding lot. I know it's a bit scary having it done abroad, but you send them loads of measurements, they send you a muslin version to check it fits and you're happy with the design, then they send you the completed version and you can still send it back for alterations if necessary.

Bear in mind that almost all the £500 - £1500 price range dresses are made in China anyway with a massive profit margin, even the ones with Italian or English brand names - apparently Milly Bridal use the same quality fabrics, lace, beading and embroidery as all the big names but without the overheads.

If I could choose again, it's what I would have done and I fell for a Benjamin Roberts £1000 job blush

KeepErLit Sat 11-Jun-11 16:32:22

Size 18 here but could possibly be altered?

lemonbeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 16:39:38

Thanks Keeps, i saw that and think its great, just joined a few wedding sites to see if they have any ideas.

The size 18 looks better as its ivory, i will speak to her later about it

Bue Sun 12-Jun-11 11:52:50

If you buy a second hand dress, please keep in mind that bridal sizes are different to street sizes! So if your daughter is a street 16, she is likely to be a bridal 18. I'd hate for you to buy a dress only to discover when it arrives that it's too small sad

oohlaalaa Sun 12-Jun-11 15:58:38

www.phoenixgowns.co.uk/classicbridal.html

Phoenix Gowns T662 is a little similar. I thinks it is just under £500. I would suggest finding the nearest shop to you that sells it, and try it on. They take about two months to arrive from China.

oohlaalaa Sun 12-Jun-11 16:00:29

www.phoenixgowns.co.uk/stockists.html

honeyandsalt Sun 19-Jun-11 23:16:41

If you still can't find it Milly's does seem to have a good rep: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1042505

When you're thinking about online reviews of things be aware that anyone can be writing them, so be wary of reviewers on whatever forum who are new as they may be posting from the company, or from a rival. Either way you're getting propaganda!! Given the increasing popularity of ordering direct from China I'd be surprised if some bridal shop owners and dressmakers aren't out there flaming millys etc. to try and put people off.

Oh wait, cancel that, here it is (used but spotless and with an unworn wrap, and in the right sze!!) for £400ono! Get in! http://www.sellmyweddingdress.co.uk/database/dress_info.php?ref=6228

[grins]wine

minkymeerkat Tue 21-Jun-11 18:02:47

wine cheers honeyandsalt, have pm you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now