Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend on a wedding gift?

(10 Posts)
ja9 Fri 27-May-11 20:52:17

I know it's subjective... depends on your income, who the couple are etc. But curious nonetheless....

So, couple are not family or closest friends...

How much would you spend?

raspberrytipple Fri 27-May-11 22:26:56

£20 although I spent £40 recently for a friend of a friend by the time I had bought a last minute present, gift bag, card etc. I don't think many people expect a great deal these days do they?

wineandcheese Sat 28-May-11 12:56:42

£20 for me too.

ja9 Sat 28-May-11 20:05:21

Interesting... i thought the general consensus would be a bit more than that. This current gift list doesn't have any items over the £50 mark which surprised me too...

oohlaalaa Sun 29-May-11 13:17:12

I'm engaged, and presents purchased from our list have ranged from £25 per person to £60 per person. I have been surprised by how generous everyone is. DP and I usually spend between £50 and £80 as a couple, depending on how close the friend is.

We usually spend £60-£100 depending on who it is etc.

If we just go to the evening party then we would probably take a nice bottle of champagne rather than buy something off the list.

bluebobbin Sun 29-May-11 13:27:48

I give very variable amounts.

I don't usually give less than £20 and that is my standard. For a very very good friend, I would increase this to £50 or £60. I did give my little brother and his wife £250 cash though. In other cases, I decide not to go and not to give anything - received a grabby invite asking for cash from a cousin of DH's that I had never even met and DH hadn't seen for 10yrs.

Re the lists with nothing over £50 on them, OP, you can buy more than one thing. When my best friend got married, I bought 2 things off her list, each costing £30.

ja9 Sun 29-May-11 13:37:29

Ah, more varied responses now.

BB - yes i definately could. Was just surprised by the list as this couple don't currently live together and so are really setting up home. The last number of lists i've bought from had a much greater variety of prices. They clearly aren't very materialistic which is lovely.

JanMorrow Thu 02-Jun-11 22:31:57

£50 from us as a couple usually

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Thu 09-Jun-11 15:34:11

I'd say £20 for an evening invite and between £50 -£100 for a day invite. £100 if we knew them well and/or they invited the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now