Talk

Advanced search

Impact of Hurricane Lorenzo on our shores.

(14 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 29-Sep-19 17:17:47

Some lurid headlines in the Press today. (some things never change)

At the moment we simply don't know if Lorenzo will be hitting the UK as an extra-tropical storm at the end of the week. Plots have it going anywhere from Iceland, to down over us. It's something to keep an eye on for sure, but don't believe what you read on some websites/papers.

AuntieStella Sun 29-Sep-19 21:32:21

I've just seen the lurid headlines, and was wondering how much was storm approaching and how much was trashy writing.

If it is coming our way, when is it likely there will be respectable predictions? Mid week?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 30-Sep-19 20:56:41

I honestly don't know! The impacts could be felt as early as Thursday.
I think it's most likely to go north of the UK but if you look at the spaghetti model tracks they are pretty all over the place still.

Lots of rain potential.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 30-Sep-19 20:57:16

damn, pressed send too early.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 01-Oct-19 13:34:57

It looks like any impact will be largely confined to Northern Ireland and western coasts of Ireland and NI

BiddyPop Tue 01-Oct-19 18:24:17

While there are no official warnings in place here yet, the emergency committee have already met and i have heard that those who deal with emergencies are warned they may be sleeping at work on Thursday night. (Dublin)

Any more thoughts on it as the tracking starts to get a little more clear?!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 01-Oct-19 18:32:14

I think we won't really pin it down until tomorrow evening. It's still possible it may miss altogether.

BiddyPop Tue 01-Oct-19 21:26:44

Thanks OYBBK.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Oct-19 13:23:16

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-10-03 wind warnings

MrSlant Wed 02-Oct-19 21:30:05

You should see the weather mapping my local news website is using to illustrate this. Honestly they make it look like armageddon would be the easy option. I'm so embarrassed for them grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 02-Oct-19 22:04:55

One day when a big storm arrives they are going to find themselves short of adjectives.

MrSlant Wed 02-Oct-19 22:10:42

The boy who cried wolf of weather reporting!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 02-Oct-19 22:12:19

Disappointed DC here on the east coast of Ireland, they were hoping for a day off school like they had with Ophelia but we are only on a yellow weather warning.

BiddyPop Thu 03-Oct-19 09:23:16

Yes, same here Americano - the 2nd year whats app group of Mums were all talking about one DC doing something amazing - the actual 2nd years were all speculating on the chances (which they reckoned were high! grin ) of the orange being upgraded to red, so the east coast getting upgraded to orange (or potentially red) and then the principal allowing them the day off. Nothing about a tv appearance of one of their own!! grin

While a brisk wind this morning (about force 4 beaufort, not yet into storm levels), it is still dry with high clouds overhead starting to fill all gaps of sky. There was a scattering (literally, almost like a wave had sloshed over the side of a washing up bowl is it is carried - a 15 second burst of heavy drops and then nothing!) of rain as I walked from the train station to the office.

But the ground is waterlogged, the back garden "puddle" that appears after prolonged heavy rain is back and not draining, so whatever falls today is likely to sit. And there were a lot of leaves starting to fall in the past 2 days, so there was lots of activity to sweep streets going on, but still the chances of drains getting blocked. We are also expecting trees to get torn up. And there were lots of people going into the marina (next to the train station) this morning to check on boats - its not normally busy at that hour of the morning....

But they've downgraded the orange by taking county Cork out of the area and making that yellow - so the track has shifted a bit more northwards than yesterday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »