Talk

Advanced search

Winter 2019/20 forecast

(26 Posts)
GloriaSmud Sat 31-Aug-19 14:43:22

Thoughts from TheWeatherOutlook on the signals for this winter.

Honeyroar Sat 31-Aug-19 14:50:46

It's the most honest prediction I've seen, it basically says it's too early to say. Better than the tabloids wittering on about forecasts of the worst winter ever and using berry harvests to predict!

GloriaSmud Sat 31-Aug-19 16:17:30

It probably is, honeyroar!
Your post reminded me, for those of us who want a forecast based on berry harvests and nature - Dave King's 'Weather Without Technology website.

Perihelion Sat 31-Aug-19 19:02:05

Ha, winter starts next Saturday....Going to a friend's wedding in the Highlands, in a marquee..... Forecast 7C at 4pm shock

GloriaSmud Tue 03-Sep-19 09:58:52

That's a little chilly, Perihelion!

Some more thoughts from TheWeatherOutlook, on Autumn 2019 and their Christmas countdown has already started shock

BalthazarImpresario Sun 08-Sep-19 13:06:03

Are there any truths in the headlines in setting about an Indian summer, hottest ever etc after mid September?

GloriaSmud Sun 08-Sep-19 13:39:38

After next weekend, the GFS does give signs of it warming up, especially for England so yes, some warmth could be on its way but it's waaaaay into the future when it comes to forecasting, so I wouldn't take it as a certainty at the moment!

Emmabryant123 Sun 08-Sep-19 18:28:30

Oh ffs really !?
No no no 😭😭

Titsywoo Mon 09-Sep-19 14:35:05

Lots of the standard "coldest winter ever coming" articles all over the place again. Looks more like a mild one going by the links Gloria posted!

GloriaSmud Wed 11-Sep-19 19:06:20

Yes, Titsywoo - saw this one recently. I don't know whether the study mentioned there and the fact that it's been carried out by climate experts at UCL (rather than the 'experts' at the Daily Express!) makes it more reliable!

RosaWaiting Wed 11-Sep-19 19:08:07

My mother is already fretting about “coldest winter ever” reports.

Delatron Wed 11-Sep-19 21:13:35

Seeing more ‘coldest winter for 20 years, Beast from the East’ stories. Really early this year. I ignored the tabloid ones but now others (The Independent, slightly more high brow?) are joining in and saying the reports are coming from ‘scientists’. Surely it’s too early to tell?

What do we think?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 12-Sep-19 22:42:47

Walking home from dropping the dc for their first day at school last Tuesday & Dh turned to me & said “fiver that the closest winter ‘reports’ are about by the end on the week”. I wasn’t fool enough to accept but did regret not countering with “make it by the end of the day” grin.

I don’t mind the idea of an average or cold autumn & winter as long as we have some sun. I dislike clouds & grey or, worse, endless rain & grey. They make it seem like it lasts so much longer.

GloriaSmud Fri 13-Sep-19 08:54:13

Delatron - I take even the scientists saying 'coldest winter' etc, with a pinch of salt. I think several of them were saying that last winter was going to be severe but (apart from a heavy fall of snow for the south), not a lot happened!

Bernards - I hate those day-after-day dull days as well. I call them 'meh' days as nothing happens!

Delatron Fri 13-Sep-19 12:11:11

Yes true Gloria it is the same every year. They’ve started early this year.

hoochymamgu Sat 14-Sep-19 16:18:23

Thanks for this Gloria, cold and sunny is my request too smile
The emotional roller coaster that is 'coldest winter' is all too much for me grin

GloriaSmud Mon 16-Sep-19 09:55:19

hoochymamgu - grin It is a bit of a rollercoaster, isn't it?

Latest thoughts from TheWeatherOutlook.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 16-Sep-19 12:54:33

‘Meh’ is a pretty accurate description Gloria

Today is a bit meh but I’ll take it as the rest of the week looks lovely!

Delatron Tue 17-Sep-19 09:15:32

The weather is just beautiful at the moment. September much better than August so far.

Feels like a nice boost before winter.

GloriaSmud Tue 17-Sep-19 09:59:54

'Tis indeed a lovely morning.
I took this photo from my walk in the park this morning - sun breaking through the trees and dew on the grass.

Delatron Tue 17-Sep-19 12:29:14

Oh so beautiful! The light is gorgeous this time of year. I’m making the most of it!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 24-Sep-19 09:30:45

Well this mornings school run was decidedly soggy & we had a some good thunder & lightning at about 6am. I’m hoping it will have at least slowed in intensity by this afternoon, there’s nothing worse than hanging around waiting for them in the pouring rain! Still very warm though.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 24-Sep-19 09:31:17

We had some good. I’m not sure why there’s an a in there hmm

GloriaSmud Tue 24-Sep-19 10:13:54

Another soggy school run here as well (and not such a nice walk in the park this morning!)

Weather warning for rain covering most of England and Netweather's weather radar.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 24-Sep-19 17:35:20

It is beautifully sunny here. Now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »