Talk

Advanced search

Weather warnings 6-10 August.

(35 Posts)
GloriaSmud Tue 06-Aug-19 12:13:30

Issued by the metoffice ~ thunderstorms today and tomorrow and then rain (Friday) and wind (Saturday)

Perihelion Tue 06-Aug-19 20:12:37

grin 2 days of thunderstorm warnings for me.
Odd to have a wind warning in August for anywhere, let alone the South of England.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 06-Aug-19 20:17:10

It looks pretty wild on Friday and Saturday. There's going to be a lot of branches down and potentially some trees. Ill be shoring up my sunflowers and tomatoes.

GloriaSmud Tue 06-Aug-19 22:21:22

I think my tomatoes are in a fairly sheltered spot at the allotment so hopefully they'll be OK. Could do without strong winds on Saturday though as it's our Allotment Open Day ~ really don't need things blowing about that day!

magimedi Wed 07-Aug-19 07:57:41

Is this the end of summer? sad

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 07-Aug-19 08:52:59

Oh I hope not magi sad I’m hoping it perks up before the children go back to school.

I’m not keen on wind I find it most disorientating.

We’re at my Aunt & Uncles on Saturday so the children will have to stay inside by the looks of things, followed by Ikea I think because Ikea on a Saturday in the summer hols is everyone’s idea of fun.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 07-Aug-19 09:53:46

I wouldn't call it the end of summer, but it does look more like a traditional English summer.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 07-Aug-19 11:58:22

Updated warnings, for everyone at some point over the next few days. Wind, rain, thunderstorms.
www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-08-10

Perihelion Wed 07-Aug-19 16:08:59

The rain is traditional Scottish August weather...
The thunderstorms are not. Just having another belter of a thunderstorm in Edinburgh. Rain's coming from the NW, seems to hit the Forth and kick off the lightning grin

Perihelion Wed 07-Aug-19 21:52:54

Am confused as to why Scotland doesn't warrant a wind warning on Friday. Yes we're more used to wind, but not so much as this time of year. Edinburgh is due the same wind strength as London, and the NW Highlands are forecast gusts over 50mph ( am a wee bit concerned about that, as I've to get a wee boat to a wee island on Friday afternoon shock )

FaithFrank Thu 08-Aug-19 16:34:37

Did you see the Boardmasters Festival in Cornwall was cancelled because of the wind?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-49259812

My dd's friend was supposed to be working there. Luckily she found out about the cancellation before she was due to set out. Some of the other workers ended up stranded there.

GloriaSmud Thu 08-Aug-19 21:30:39

And this festival has been cancelled too.

FaithFrank ~ I think there have been quite a few complaints because of how late the decision was to cancel the Boardmasters Festival.

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 09-Aug-19 00:35:25

Arse. Off on holiday. Sorry about that.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 09-Aug-19 08:03:17

Looking really quite disruptive now with up to 50mm of rain in places along with winds of 60mph in places in the south. Strong for the time of year.

71wheretogo Fri 09-Aug-19 08:52:43

We are supposed to be starting our week's camping in Powys on Sunday! Aaargh!!

nannynick Fri 09-Aug-19 10:39:13

Looks likely to be very wet all day in Aberdeenshire. Seems to be easing off then gets heavier, then eases off again.

BiddyPop Fri 09-Aug-19 10:47:18

Very heavy rain overnight on Dublin. And lots of the crackles on the radio of lightening, but only 2 close enough to hear thunder (7 and 10 miles away).

Much lighter but it is still raining here now. Wind has also calmed somewhat, from quite blustery (possibly a force 6 or so) during the night to maybe 2-3 but quite strong gusts now.

GloriaSmud Fri 09-Aug-19 11:01:37

Rain has cleared through quite quickly here (Leicester) but it's rather blustery now.

Current weather warnings from the metoffice.

Convective Storm Forecast from Netweather.

magimedi Fri 09-Aug-19 11:03:42

Rain also cleared here (Sussex coast) but very windy & also very warm & humid. Washing on the line - but I think not for long!

tapdancingmum Fri 09-Aug-19 13:33:22

Sun keeps coming out here (Bucks) with spits and spots of rain which doesn't help as not sure whether to put the guinea pigs and the washing out.

Do you have any idea of the weather for Reading festival yet?

Justmuddlingalong Fri 09-Aug-19 17:05:51

The sun's splitting the trees now here in Fife. Washing's out and flip flops are back on. What a weird day weather wise.

dementedma Fri 09-Aug-19 17:11:47

Not in this part of Fife it ain’t! Both Kinross show and Perth Show cancelled for tomorrow. Could this year be the first time in 62 years that the Tattoo is cancelled. heart goes out to the performers.

PickAChew Fri 09-Aug-19 17:13:09

We've got more heading our way in Durham. Torrential rain first thing, then a small but very intense storm passed overhead around 3, another one just passed us to the East and more forecast.

MsJRMEsq Fri 09-Aug-19 17:44:16

We are going on a North Sea ferry tomorrow - any ideas what to expect please?

GloriaSmud Fri 09-Aug-19 18:11:34

tapdancingmum ~ bit early yet but at the moment the GFS says dry with temperatures around 20C

MsJRMEsq ~ if you're travelling more towards the afternoon, you could be in for rather a rough crossing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »