Talk

Advanced search

Potential for severe thunderstorms and heavy rain Tuesday 18th/Wednesday 19th.

(59 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Jun-19 06:39:32

Will be able to resume forecasting tomorrow' when I have proper internet but in the mean time: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-06-18

Thunderstorm warnings for tomorrow and Wednesday

Nowisthemonthofmaying Mon 17-Jun-19 12:54:58

Oh joy - we've actually got some sun here (Oxfordshire) today but it looks like it won't last!

Mind you I do love a storm...

Clutterbugsmum Mon 17-Jun-19 13:07:51

Clickly Link.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 17-Jun-19 13:10:52

We've got a bit of sun as well in Bedfordshire. I've managed to cut the grass this morning at least so the garden looks much tidier.

As long as I have got home from picking the kids up from school then it can thunder all it likes.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Jun-19 21:01:45

thank you for the clicky link smile I was battling with my phone!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Jun-19 21:13:46

Ive had a brief look at the potential. If the storms develop as they look like they may, some in the warning area could see torrential rain, leading to flooding. Frequent lightning, hail and damaging winds are also possible. The timings are hard to pin down but they look to start in the south of the region tomorrow night, with perhaps a second pulse developing. The risk continues into Wednesday morning.

Note that if the storms do develop some may see little to no activity. Storms tend to be a very localised affair and wide warning areas are required as it is hard to predict exactly where they will initialize.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Jun-19 21:22:34

There are various lightning maps on the web, this is one: en.allmetsat.com/images/lightning-united-kingdom.php

megletthesecond Mon 17-Jun-19 22:16:49

😫

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Jun-19 22:35:56

I know.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 18-Jun-19 07:52:10

agggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh, would hide under the bed, but ... not enough room. If I am inside it will not be too bad, just not when I am outside please.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 08:44:55

The risk very much remains for severe storms tonight in the SE and across East Anglia. I wish I had named this thread a little differently!

Torrential rain, frequent lightning, large hail and damaging winds are all possible.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 18-Jun-19 11:56:07

the warning zone included a bit of the wmids and leicester. is the western side of the warning zone less likely to be affected? <crosses fingers and hopes>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 12:08:14

I think so.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 13:20:12

Some storms are just starting to show on the south coast.

Pascha Tue 18-Jun-19 13:56:45

I'm keeping a watchful eye out in South Kent Romney Marsh area. Ds1 has a cubs thing outdoors between 6-8 tonight. Will he get very wet?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 14:43:00

I'm afraid I don't know. It looks very likely there will be storms, some perhaps severe, but timings and exact location are something that I can't predict. We need to watch how things develop.

I'm going to ask mn to edit the title of the thread.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 15:02:25

Thank you MN smile that was very quick!

megletthesecond Tue 18-Jun-19 16:13:47

Memo to self; that wasn't thunder it was a neighbour dragging their wheelie bin down the street. Got excited for a minute.

Pascha Tue 18-Jun-19 16:20:20

Thanks kitten. the BBC doesn't forecast terrible weather til after midnight now. Hopefully hell just get a bit wet which is fine.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 16:46:26

That's hilarious Meglet.

Fingers crossed Pascha smile
Just steady rain where I am at present. We seem to be developing a new water feature in the garden though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 17:47:16

All quiet on the 'sferics front at present. I wonder if the risk from the first pulse is diminishing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 18:42:07

Some storms are developing in northern France now, south of Caen.

Pascha Tue 18-Jun-19 19:42:47

Will they cross the channel?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 18-Jun-19 19:52:53

Good question smile

Often they die out as they come over the channel only for new cells to develop over the UK. I'm not sure with this band, I think it may - it's certainly forming a long line of storms now.

Emmabryant123 Tue 18-Jun-19 20:12:50

😬 hoping the worst is over by tomorrow am
I don't like a storm
Will be following this thread for updates

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »