Talk

Advanced search

Wind watch weekend of 8th Feb

(35 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 06-Feb-19 09:57:46

Just one to watch. I think warnings will be going out later today. Nothing too extreme, but it's not been properly windy for ages and with damaged trees from the snow and lots of rain in the same system, there could be some low level disruption.
High Wind right across the uk but southern coasts (gusts to 70?) and northern England and Wales (gusts to 80?) could take the brunt of this one.

Then Saturday/Sunday there is the potential for a different system bringing high winds across central and southern areas into East Anglia (with maybe a little snow embedded?)

GloriaSmud Wed 06-Feb-19 10:42:02

Wind gusts for 3pm Friday.

GloriaSmud Wed 06-Feb-19 10:51:05

Weather warnings from today until Saturday.
(Was there anything in the way of strong winds due today?)

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 06-Feb-19 11:08:53

I didn't think tonight's warranted warning about confused

GloriaSmud Wed 06-Feb-19 11:14:35

No ~ am confused too!
Might be 'a bit blowy' but nothing too dramatic!

BlackeyedGruesome Wed 06-Feb-19 13:05:18

weather forcast said it was getting windy in the south... may that is why? (presumably people in the north walk round with lead in the bottom their boots)

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 06-Feb-19 18:15:42

Actually, tonight could be surprisingly nasty in the south according to some forecasters.

GloriaSmud Wed 06-Feb-19 18:53:21

Netweather have a bit about tonight's weather here ~ looks like the metoffice could see the way things were going this morning and that it needed a warning.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 06-Feb-19 21:07:47

ermm, little bump in the hope people realise that tonight is included confused

megletthesecond Thu 07-Feb-19 08:15:11

Last night was awful. North Hampshire.
The wind kept us awake.
Fence panels seem to have had a miraculous escape confused.

BiddyPop Thu 07-Feb-19 08:37:00

It was fine when I got home from work, but I got called back in and it was dreadeful! When I was coming home about 8:30, and only got worse.

I am supposed to be bringing 24 Cub scouts up the Dublin Mountains on Saturday morning- this seems slightly not sensible given these warnings.

Any ideas for an indoor session instead - maybe some good links to resources to teach and make weather interesting to 8-11 year olds?!😁

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 09:25:27

I totally slept through the wind, it was only when I saw branches down that I thought 'oh yeah....'

GloriaSmud Thu 07-Feb-19 11:19:33

Biddy Pop ~ some weather experiments here (who knew the metoffice have a 'weather experiment' page!)

GloriaSmud Thu 07-Feb-19 11:25:34

Updated weather warnings ~ looks like the metoffice have had a rethink on the the areas that might be affected.

GloriaSmud Thu 07-Feb-19 14:25:08

Looking at the wind gusts here (tomorrow 1pm), I wonder if the metoffice might have to adjust their warnings again.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 14:56:38

I wonder if a second warning area through channel areas will be posted.

ranava Thu 07-Feb-19 15:29:23

Do you think it'll be alright to drive from Birmingham to London tomorrow? Hate driving in the wind!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 17:05:26

I think you'll be ok, it might be a bit tuggy, but it should be ok.

BlackeyedGruesome Thu 07-Feb-19 22:00:29

do watch out for stork Eric though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 22:01:32

babies for all?

Solo Thu 07-Feb-19 22:02:55

I lost a tree last night.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 07-Feb-19 22:11:51

That was careless....

Was it one that you minded?

Solo Thu 07-Feb-19 23:17:13

grin I think it was fairly dead, tbh but, it was standing there dead for a very long time, covered with ivy.

GloriaSmud Fri 08-Feb-19 07:41:38

Oh but ivy-covered trees are nice ~ they look that they've had a 'well-lived' life, even if it's just holding up some ivy in their later years!

Bit windy here (Leicester), stronger stuff to come later, I think. Still think the metoffice are going to adjust their weather warnings (to cover England/a bit more of the south ~ and channel coasts, as OYBBK said yesterday)

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 08-Feb-19 07:49:58

That's sad re the tree.

It's fairly disgusting here in the south. I have mud prints all over the table from the cats to prove it. I'm considering installing a car wash type installation in place of the cat flap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »