Talk

Advanced search

risk of freezing rain tomorrow. (sat 14th)

(132 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 11:49:25

I just wanted to highlight the potential still exists for freezing rain for those in northern england and Scotland tomorrow afternoon and evening. No real details and probability is fairly low BUT it is such a serious weather event when it does happen, that I feel flagging it is a wise thing.

Those who got freezing rain in March in southern England will remember how just a cm or so of freezing rain caused some very dangerous driving issues and brought branches down. Remember freezing rain is not hail - it falls as water and freezes on contact with surfaces instantly.

Tomorrow's event if it happens could be very nasty, with high winds and lots of precipitation forecast. If it were to fall as freezing rain then I would expect travel disruption and the potential for power supply interruption.

Don't cancel plans based on this post but please do just keep an eye on things. If the temperature is below 0 and it is raining, then it's a worry.

brizzledrizzle Mon 17-Dec-18 09:39:14

I think we must have had freezing rain overnight - the car this morning was covered in rock solid frozen raindrops and the road was lethal. I could actually hear the ice cracking when I was sitting in the car with the heated windscreen on.

TokyoSushi Sat 15-Dec-18 21:26:01

Really windy here now in Cheshire

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 21:00:47

It was a good call I think smile well done.

beenrumbled Sat 15-Dec-18 21:00:17

Just heavy rain and high winds here in Manchester

MsJaneAusten Sat 15-Dec-18 20:33:43

Just really bloody cold and windy here in south lakes. It’s strangely reassuring to hear of bad weather out towards skipton / Leeds though - I feel vindicated for cancelling my plans (was feeling guilty for not taking DM to see family)

BabySharkDooDooDooDoo Sat 15-Dec-18 20:32:15

Now been snowing in alloa for over an hour so far...

MynameisJune Sat 15-Dec-18 19:30:59

Just lots of rain here. Went out to check and it’s definitely not freezing rain. DH has to drive to Derby though for a night shift. I’m worried about him.

BlackeyedGruesome Sat 15-Dec-18 18:58:58

brr. we have had a lot of rain here but I am not venturing out to see if it si freezing.

thc children are away and have arrived safely. hoping htey stay safe.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 15-Dec-18 18:22:44

* Just been out to the car, it's got a layer of ice on the windscreen that is just like a layer of rain drops but frozen solid. Is that is what freezing rain looks like?*

Yes, to start with, but it can grow to quite a thick shell. Sort of like a frozen prawn.

brizzledrizzle Sat 15-Dec-18 18:07:09

Just been out to the car, it's got a layer of ice on the windscreen that is just like a layer of rain drops but frozen solid. Is that is what freezing rain looks like?

picklemebaubles Sat 15-Dec-18 18:02:35

Proper cold rain here, but nothing exciting. Don't think I'll drive anywhere tonight though! (Who am I trying to kid, it's the strictly final!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 17:59:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46574942 news report. Power outages reported.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 17:40:07

It must be beautiful.

ItsTheGloaming Sat 15-Dec-18 17:37:45

Staffordshire here and it is so dangerous.... Roads and pavement like an ice rink. All the trees are covered in ice and have icicles hanging from the branches. I've never seen anything like it.... The outside trees with Christmas lights on are beautiful but I am not driving anywhere tonight

Justmuddlingalong Sat 15-Dec-18 17:24:15

Fife coast here. We've had heavy rain then sleet then hail in the last hour. The wind's really picked up too. We got home from Edinburgh just before the bad weather started, thankfully. A really stormy night so far. Stay warm and safe everyone.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 16:46:26

You're welcome Errol smile

It's been really wet and cold down here, pretty windy. I do find it fascinating that water can take so many different forms over a temperature range of 2 or 3c.

Elfinablender Sat 15-Dec-18 16:05:57

Teesside here, 1c but with a feels like of -6c. No rain yet but the sky looks heavier now.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 15-Dec-18 16:00:18

* NW Lancashire so far just wind and non-freezing rain..*

Nasty, but 1.5 C in my part, I just went out to get milk.

I lived on the East Coast of the US for a while, and also used to go to Boston a lot... freezing rain is quite common there. Colleagues would go out to their cars at the end of the day and find them glazed over. Horrible stuff, thanks for the warnings OYBBK.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 16:00:03

Latest tweet from the met office.

Brizzledrizzle Sat 15-Dec-18 15:51:48

The wind has picked up here and we're getting disturbance to the satellite signal which we usually only get when the weather is bad.

legodisasterzone Sat 15-Dec-18 15:51:41

Who is Andrew?! 😁 and

MissSkate Sat 15-Dec-18 15:51:23

Freezing rain and treacherous here in Harrogate.

legodisasterzone Sat 15-Dec-18 15:48:26

Freezing rain in Durham-paths are like ice rinks.
We were out in the car when it started Andrew as the rain hit the wing mirrors it started to freeze straight away. Bizarre!

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 15-Dec-18 15:41:39

Freezing rain in High Peak. Have had to drive to Sheffield and it's not been too bad though.

nannynick Sat 15-Dec-18 15:39:41

Looks like snow has started in Braemar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »