Talk

Advanced search

risk of freezing rain tomorrow. (sat 14th)

(132 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 11:49:25

I just wanted to highlight the potential still exists for freezing rain for those in northern england and Scotland tomorrow afternoon and evening. No real details and probability is fairly low BUT it is such a serious weather event when it does happen, that I feel flagging it is a wise thing.

Those who got freezing rain in March in southern England will remember how just a cm or so of freezing rain caused some very dangerous driving issues and brought branches down. Remember freezing rain is not hail - it falls as water and freezes on contact with surfaces instantly.

Tomorrow's event if it happens could be very nasty, with high winds and lots of precipitation forecast. If it were to fall as freezing rain then I would expect travel disruption and the potential for power supply interruption.

Don't cancel plans based on this post but please do just keep an eye on things. If the temperature is below 0 and it is raining, then it's a worry.

MynameisJune Sat 15-Dec-18 19:30:59

Just lots of rain here. Went out to check and it’s definitely not freezing rain. DH has to drive to Derby though for a night shift. I’m worried about him.

BabySharkDooDooDooDoo Sat 15-Dec-18 20:32:15

Now been snowing in alloa for over an hour so far...

MsJaneAusten Sat 15-Dec-18 20:33:43

Just really bloody cold and windy here in south lakes. It’s strangely reassuring to hear of bad weather out towards skipton / Leeds though - I feel vindicated for cancelling my plans (was feeling guilty for not taking DM to see family)

beenrumbled Sat 15-Dec-18 21:00:17

Just heavy rain and high winds here in Manchester

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 15-Dec-18 21:00:47

It was a good call I think smile well done.

TokyoSushi Sat 15-Dec-18 21:26:01

Really windy here now in Cheshire

brizzledrizzle Mon 17-Dec-18 09:39:14

I think we must have had freezing rain overnight - the car this morning was covered in rock solid frozen raindrops and the road was lethal. I could actually hear the ice cracking when I was sitting in the car with the heated windscreen on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »