Talk

Advanced search

risk of freezing rain tomorrow. (sat 14th)

(132 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 11:49:25

I just wanted to highlight the potential still exists for freezing rain for those in northern england and Scotland tomorrow afternoon and evening. No real details and probability is fairly low BUT it is such a serious weather event when it does happen, that I feel flagging it is a wise thing.

Those who got freezing rain in March in southern England will remember how just a cm or so of freezing rain caused some very dangerous driving issues and brought branches down. Remember freezing rain is not hail - it falls as water and freezes on contact with surfaces instantly.

Tomorrow's event if it happens could be very nasty, with high winds and lots of precipitation forecast. If it were to fall as freezing rain then I would expect travel disruption and the potential for power supply interruption.

Don't cancel plans based on this post but please do just keep an eye on things. If the temperature is below 0 and it is raining, then it's a worry.

mogloveseggs Fri 14-Dec-18 19:59:02

Ugh! I have to work tomorrow. Typical. Thanks for the heads up!

spacechimp Fri 14-Dec-18 20:02:28

It looks as though the Amber area doesn’t reach as far down as Birmingham, even though West Midlands is given as one of the affected areas. Due to be out tomorrow morning 9 til 12 and trying to work out whether I need to change my plans

GloriaSmud Fri 14-Dec-18 20:04:16

picklemebaubles ~ this might help tomorrow.

GloriaSmud Fri 14-Dec-18 20:08:38

spacechimp ~ Birmingham probably won't get snow but it could get freezing rain later on, towards the afternoon. The morning should be OK but I probably wouldn't hang about!

spacechimp Fri 14-Dec-18 20:13:27

Thanks @Gloria - freezing rain is what I’m most concerned about. Would be home by 12 so hoping that I’ll be able to get stuff done and then stay out for the rest of the day

Iloveautumnleaves Fri 14-Dec-18 20:13:39

I need to keep a close eye on Gatwick & London, and to a lesser extent Reading.

I hope everyone up North stays safe.

bourbonbiccy Fri 14-Dec-18 20:49:18

My DH relayed this weather forecast to me this evening and both of us were pretty clueless as to what it actually is.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 20:53:47

Is it more clear now bourbon? Nice link: www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/precipitation/rain/freezing-rain

picklemebaubles Fri 14-Dec-18 20:55:54

Thank you!

BabySharkDooDooDooDoo Fri 14-Dec-18 20:59:26

Im in clackmannanshire and the pavements are white with quite a thick frost already

GloriaSmud Fri 14-Dec-18 21:10:14

Netweather has quite a good blog entry here all about freezing rain.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 14-Dec-18 21:13:11

I’m taking dd and five of her friends 30 miles up to Norwich on Sunday for a birthday party. Please don’t let it freeze-rain here!

Intheprimeoflime Fri 14-Dec-18 21:19:25

It's my best friend's wedding day tomorrow!

Intheprimeoflime Fri 14-Dec-18 21:20:13

And we are in the very north, very hilly part of England bless us all

flatmouse Fri 14-Dec-18 21:24:19

Fetching ds from uni tomorrow. Central heading south coast then back to central. Hope to be back by 4pm. Fingers crossed.

BouleBaker Fri 14-Dec-18 21:30:04

Thanks for the warning. We’re too far South but I remember the only time I have seen freezing rain and it’s reslly scary to be out and about in. My drive is a slope, I got to the front of the car then literally had to hold on to the side as I slowly slid along my drive all the way from bonnet to boot. It was as if all grip had just dissspeared. And no, I didn’t dtive anywhere!

bourbonbiccy Fri 14-Dec-18 22:12:50

Yes, thanks for the thread. It does seem quite daunting to be out and about with my toddler DS, if it is as horrible as people describe. Hopefully it will miss us

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 22:29:59

I think as long as people know what to watch for and just be alert, that's the main thing. It's rotten timing being a saturday so close to Christmas.

PoisonousSmurf Fri 14-Dec-18 22:31:14

They said it could reach as far south as Gloucester shock

PoisonousSmurf Fri 14-Dec-18 22:32:45

Freezing rain is terrible. Had it back in the mid 90s in South Wales. It was supposed to snow that night but it rained. Thick ice on every surface. I was SO GLAD not to have to go into work that Saturday morning!

zebrarobot Fri 14-Dec-18 22:33:14

Today is the14th.

TokyoSushi Fri 14-Dec-18 22:36:27

BBC weather forecast just now does look really bad for tomorrow now, @OhYouBadBadKitten and @GloriaSmud you do such a fantastic job, thank you!

GinandGingerBeer Fri 14-Dec-18 22:44:20

I remember how bad it was when we had it up north about 7 or so years ago. I couldn't get the kids to school, we all fell over, cars were skidding everywhere. 3 people from work ended up with bad sprains or breaks as they stepped out the door unaware, you can't actually see it, its horrendous . I'm out tomorrow night and wish I wasn't!

brizzledrizzle Fri 14-Dec-18 22:49:48

That forecast does look awful. I've got family driving down here from North Yorkshire on Sunday so I hope it's ok.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 14-Dec-18 23:08:30

smile Tokyo.

Sunday will be warming up, but it might take a bit of time to thaw.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »