Talk

Advanced search

Autumn into winter forecast.

(14 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Oct-18 21:07:37

I feel a return to the weather section in mn is needed. I've neglected this part for too long smile

So the met office released their 3 month contingency planners forecast at the end of last month. They decided it was more likely to be a wetter, warmer and more stormy 3 months than average.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/public-sector/contingency-planners

So far... I'm not sure that's true. Whilst we have seen one notably stormy couple of days, it's beginning to look increasingly settled now for the short to mid term period, with high pressure starting to dig in. Perhaps hints of change early November but in the mean time for most of us it's looking cold by night, fine by day, except perhaps where most and fog start to form.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 18-Oct-18 22:10:23

Oh hello OYBBK, nice to hear from you again.

Was quite hoping to read a forecast that said lots of snow around December but I think I’m going to have to go abroad to see snow at Christmas. grin

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 18-Oct-18 22:43:37

Fairly uninspiring then.

I know we need the rain but if we get a lot dumped my area is prone to winter floods & it can make it difficult to get about.

Personally I'd like a cold & frosty but sunny winter.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 18-Oct-18 22:45:31

It missed half my paragraph thlshock As for the rest of Autumn, it's quite nice so far, some steady rain wouldn't hurt but as I say preferably not gallons all at once.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 19-Oct-18 08:56:50

Don't you hate it when it chops part of it off Bernard!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 19-Oct-18 08:58:47

The models are developing a blocking high quite nicely for the rest of the month. Depending on where it exactly develops it could be a pretty cold end to the month. (maybe some snow showers up in the north of Scotland?)

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 19-Oct-18 21:19:36

Yes, so annoying!

Oh, that sounds ok.

Today was beautiful, foggy to start but then cleared up a treat. Tomorrow looks good too so I'll be able to sort outside ready for temp fencing the lawn to keep the dogs off over winter grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 19-Oct-18 22:15:58

So nice to have a lovely Saturday coming up smile

Sunday night the orionids peak. Where the fog keeps off it looks pretty clear.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Oct-18 20:39:16

Lunchtime GFS shows snow showers possibly even in the SE next weekend. confused

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 20-Oct-18 22:27:10

Blimey OYBBK let's hope it reverts to the normal rain before then. Or not for anyone in the SE who likes the white stuff. Hopes the Midlands/ South Warks weren't in for any too

I noticed this week the annual FB shares of Snowmageddon, insert current calendar year here have started doing the rounds grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Oct-18 23:09:52

I suspect it will vanish from the forecast.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 22-Oct-18 08:49:01

ermmm... It hasn't actually disappeared from the forecast. There is potential for a few sleet or snow flurries, even in the south overnight Friday into Saturday.

Pasithea Mon 22-Oct-18 08:59:29

We’re in the north. Might have to put the heating on doesn’t look good.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 22-Oct-18 09:01:43

It certainly looks brrrrr!

I spotted that there was already a thread going by Gloria here so I'm going to decamp to over there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: