Talk

Advanced search

Autumn 2018/Winter 2018/19

(266 Posts)
GloriaSmud Tue 14-Aug-18 11:08:25

TheWeatherOutlook have some early thoughts on Winter 2018 here and Autumn here.

Buggerbuggerbuggerargh Mon 21-Jan-19 14:42:29

I don't mind rain, it would just be nice if there were a few dry spells for the pictures.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 21-Jan-19 14:32:20

I think you may be ok during the day time. We need to see how tomorrow pans out, then it will hopefully become a bit clearer.

Buggerbuggerbuggerargh Mon 21-Jan-19 13:51:03

Looking like it's going to be chucking it down in Kent on Saturday for my wedding sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Jan-19 19:49:44

Forecasts are all over the place at the moment, so I think anything I say will be highly inaccurate. However, at the moment, it looks dull and chilly, but nothing more than that.

nomorearsingmermaids Sat 19-Jan-19 15:15:58

Oh that would be helpful wouldn't it!!

Maidstone.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Jan-19 14:52:58

Where about Mermaid?

nomorearsingmermaids Sat 19-Jan-19 14:48:31

<pokes head round door to ask for tentative predictions on next saturday>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 15-Jan-19 10:25:37

funny chap!

LadyFlumpalot Tue 15-Jan-19 10:23:32

Thank you both. A chap at work was telling me that that chart proves we will get a dumping of snow on the 23rd and I was trying to explain it really isn't proof of anything. I didn't know what it exactly meant though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 14-Jan-19 20:34:45

Worth noting that the 850 height varies, so it's only roughly 1.5km
It's the height at which the temperature isn't affected by surface heating, you'll see it doesn't vary by day/night.

I don't know what that chart is used for though.

LadyFlumpalot Mon 14-Jan-19 18:14:29

Ok, thank you smile

GloriaSmud Mon 14-Jan-19 17:44:22

I think my understanding of it is that it's showing two things in one, LadyFlumpalot. The lines are isobars so if it happened, it would mean strong winds/gales for Scotland/NW coasts. The colours/shading are what the winds could be like 1.5km above sea level ~ so what the winds are doing 1.5km up, around the low pressure system.

LadyFlumpalot Mon 14-Jan-19 15:56:41

Hiya clever ladies, could someone interpret this for me? In particular the huge lump of stuff around the 23rd? ECMWF Chart

GloriaSmud Fri 11-Jan-19 16:11:38

Could be interesting times ahead for the UK.

Disruption continues for some parts of Europe ~ BBC report.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 11-Jan-19 13:36:31

Next weekend does look to be the turning point for significantly colder weather and potentially snow. There's pretty good model consensus now.

At first I think those in the south may not really see much, but as we go further through the weekend and into the following week then chances increase.

GloriaSmud Fri 11-Jan-19 13:18:51

And a little something from the metoffice, TokyoSushi!

UK Outlook for Wednesday 16 Jan 2019 to Friday 25 Jan 2019:
Cloudy skies and a spell of rain will slowly edge southeastwards on Wednesday, clearing most places by the end of the day. Behind this it will turn clearer and colder from the north by Thursday, with scattered blustery showers, becoming wintry across northern areas. Winds will be strong with a risk of gales in the north at times. Thereafter, it looks set to remain mainly cold, unsettled and sometimes windy, with any milder spells tending to be brief and associated with longer spells of rain. The rain could turn to snow almost anywhere, but particularly across northern and central areas. especially later in this period. Some drier, brighter, quieter spells are likely, perhaps with snow showers, especially in the east. During such spells, frost could become widespread and severe.

UK Outlook for Saturday 26 Jan 2019 to Saturday 9 Feb 2019:
During the last week of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold weather being established across all of the UK. This would bring a greater risk of snow, ice and widespread frost, particularly across northern parts of the country. However, there remains uncertainty over the extent of the cold weather and how long it will last, and it is still possible that some milder and wetter interludes will intersperse this generally cold period, especially in the south.

TokyoSushi Fri 11-Jan-19 13:09:15

Ooh @GloriaSmud 😁 ❄️

GloriaSmud Fri 11-Jan-19 11:15:35

Precipitation type chart for Saturday, 19th January...
(Something like this would please DD2 greatly as her birthday is on the Sunday and she'd love a 'White' Birthday!)

GloriaSmud Thu 10-Jan-19 18:35:41

Decent snowfall in Cyprus.

Delatron Thu 10-Jan-19 17:17:44

Thanks Gloria. Yes huge amounts of snow in Austria, Greece and across Southern Europe. Just reading about it in the news!

GloriaSmud Thu 10-Jan-19 17:07:02

We have sleet showing up for next Thursday. I guess it's a start.

On a serious note, some areas of Europe has had huge amounts of snow, and there's more to come.

Delatron Thu 10-Jan-19 16:43:06

Ooh a snowflake has appeared on my highly unreliable weather app for next Friday.... won’t get my hopes up!

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Thu 10-Jan-19 10:42:29

gringringrin

GloriaSmud Thu 10-Jan-19 09:33:16

grin My sledge is well-polished and ready to go!

Interesting thoughts from Brian Gaze at TheWeatherOutlook.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 10-Jan-19 08:52:03

Let us know where it is so we can turn up with our sledges grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »