Talk

Advanced search

severe gales for saturday 21st sw and South

(39 Posts)
seasidesally Wed 18-Oct-17 16:46:32

im in the south (Dorset coast) ,wonder if we will be hit or are they airing on the side of caution

MynewnameisKy Wed 18-Oct-17 17:02:58

Given what Ophelia did the South of Ireland I would go with the old saying "Expect the worst and hope for the best!"

I have just been out clearing the leaves from my drains.

seasidesally Wed 18-Oct-17 17:17:32

oh well done,mine are just in a big pile on the patio,must sweep up as so much easier when damp and all together

watching on here and news closely to see what the weekend brings

BiddyPop Fri 20-Oct-17 11:57:02

I've cancelled our Cubs meeting - we were due to do practical map-reading in the local park (with lots of trees!) after a theory session last week in the Den. The Den is needed by the big Scouts hosting a competition with other Troupes (and taking all our Scout helpers!). And the other indoor options to visit are either emergency services (who will be gearing up for anything happening) or a museum (which is hosting a wedding!).

DD is going to her sailing clinic, but the coach has revised the programme to do most of the land-based material and extra fitness drills this weekend instead of interspersed over 4 separate weekends (in between sailing sessions) as had been planned.

Whatthefoxgoingon Fri 20-Oct-17 16:59:07

Good plan to forgo the sailing!

Is this the remnants of storm Brian coming?

GloriaSmud Fri 20-Oct-17 17:05:32

Reporting in from a static caravan between Sidmouth and Exmouth where we're right under the weather warning. I'm expecting some early gustiness during the evening but the really strong winds from 4am-ish and expecting the worst of it between 6am-9am tomorrow, just as we're packing everything up to head back to Leicester. It's going to be a fun journey back!

Whatthefoxgoingon Fri 20-Oct-17 17:07:27

Eek. Are you sure you don’t want to leave now Gloria?

<has visions of Gloria’s caravan being swept into the distance>

metalmum15 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:11:34

Gloria The Midlands are due for really high winds tomorrow from around 9am to 5pm so it'll be following you home!

CiderwithBuda Fri 20-Oct-17 17:13:48

DH and DS fly into Bristol tonight. I don't envy them and am slightly concerned. Hopefully the worst they will endure will be a delayed or cancelled flight.

gnomeisland Fri 20-Oct-17 17:17:17

Far end of Cornwall here. Winds have been picking up all afternoon. It's blowing a hooley already, very overcast and raining. Looking at the forecast it's only just getting started.
Going to be an interesting few hours....

GloriaSmud Fri 20-Oct-17 17:22:54

It has crossed my mind, even more so as out of our row of caravans, ours sticks out from the rest so is affected by the wind more! If it's a rough night and we're up early, it could be an early start for home tomorrow.
DH's just been out and said the wind's beginning to get up already.

GloriaSmud Fri 20-Oct-17 17:28:07

Metalmum- yes, it's going to be one of those days! Normally we'd stop off somewhere to break the journey but can't see us doing that tomorrow.

seasidesally Fri 20-Oct-17 17:31:01

does anybody have any good sites that show how the storm is progressing?thanks

GloriaSmud Fri 20-Oct-17 17:44:10

seaside - weatheronline.co.uk has some recent charts. Think you have to look at their 'radar' to see how things are moving along.

seasidesally Fri 20-Oct-17 17:46:14

will take a look,thanks

PortiaCastis Fri 20-Oct-17 17:48:55

<again waves to Cornish crew>
Yes blowing a gale here in the west

gnomeisland Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:09

this is just the best thing EVER for watching the winds around the world:
earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-354.91,47.95,1593/loc=-13.973,48.913

roloisking Fri 20-Oct-17 18:17:28

That a great site gnome

gnomeisland Fri 20-Oct-17 18:21:31

Thanks rolo, someone on MN posted it a few years ago (on one of the OYBBK's weather threads - it may have been the mighty OYBBK herself). I've been addicted ever since.

DomesticAnarchist Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:36

Love that site @gnomeisland!

LucyTheLocalBike Fri 20-Oct-17 18:34:23

We have a flood warning iss ued here on North West Wales coast as Storm Brian (great name) coincides with spring tides. Trains have already said they will be running at reduced speeds and are expecting many cancellations, charity walk tomorrow cancelled etc. Only just recovering after the earlier storm this week

seasidesally Fri 20-Oct-17 23:08:16

wind picking up here,but not suppose to be bad till dawn+

CollieBobs Sat 21-Oct-17 06:56:56

The wind from Thursday night caused a bit of damage! And it wasn't even supposed to be that bad

We haven't slept since about 3.30am since the wind and rain is so noisy. DS ran into our bedroom terrified at about 6am! Bless him!

toomuchfaster Sat 21-Oct-17 07:01:11

Dorset here. It's very windy but hadn't woken DD. She woke just now as was cold and has gone back to sleep after making sure I'm properly awake with her cold feet! It's too dark still to see if there's any damage yet.

GloriaSmud Sat 21-Oct-17 07:27:19

Signing in again from a static caravan between Sidmouth and Exmouth where apart from the occasional gust of wind, it hasn't been too bad a night. But we're heading home to Leicester today so think we're in for a fun journey home.
DH's just said that a lot of National Trust properties are closed today because of the weather- in case anyone's thinking of visitng one, might be worth checking the NT's website before setting off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now